4 Jaw chuck for 7x lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V 45

Reaction score
Hello,
Is there a better 4 inch independent 4 jaw chuck for the 7x lathes than ones seen at the normal retailers for our mini systems (import)? I was searching buying sites and some major manufactures. Was looking for just a little better quality chuck! What do you use and what backing plate did you use?
Thanx again,
V 45

I have the adapter for a mini-lathe to a four inch chuck for sale right now in the buy and sell section.

Bronson.

V 45 said:
Was looking for just a little better quality chuck! What do you use and what backing plate did you use?
Thanx again,
V 45

Bison makes a good chuck. For a back plate, check Little Machine Shop. They have a lot of things for that lathe.
Since we don't know where you live, this info may be of little use to you. When asking "where to buy" questions, it helps if you include at least your country.

Dean

V 45 said:
Hello,
Is there a better 4 inch independent 4 jaw chuck for the 7x lathes than ones seen at the normal retailers for our mini systems (import)? I was searching buying sites and some major manufactures. Was looking for just a little better quality chuck! What do you use and what backing plate did you use?
Thanx again,
V 45
Hi,
I would not be prepared to pay too much money for an independent chuck as you could achieve excellent accuracy with any half decent one, that is the whole point of independent chucks. If however, you are looking at 4 jaws self centering ones then perhaps you could contemplate paying for a good one. The problem however with Chinese made machines is a total lack of accuracy, consistency and uniformaty in their mounting methods and sizes. As has been mentioned earlier Bison-Toolmex seem to have a good reputation and if you could find the right mounting size chuck they are perhaps worth paying for.

regards,

A.G

As others have said bison makes nice but expensive .
in my experience the regular ones are fine but may need a little deburring and or lapping to tune them up a bit.
on my 7x the only four jaw I have is an old craftman on a home made adapter plate.
Tin

Thanx for all your imput !! I'm in central PA. I'll just look at the ones from LMS then.
V 45

If you have. 7inch mini it came with a 3inch chuck. You may want to up the size to a 4inch 4 jaw. You will beagle to swing bigger stock. LMS has them with adapter plated on them.

Don

Anyone know what the biggest feasible size for a independent 4 jaw on the mini-lathe would be?

Hi,
Ito think that for practical reasons 4" would be the largest one although I have read of some people using 125mm ones, you just have make the back plate for them which I always find troublesome and make sure that the chuck jaws whle extended do not hit the bed.

A.G

IMHO 4" is about it. With jaws almost fully open they just miss the ways. Larger is pointless as you cant open them as far. Mine fits directly on the spindle which is clearly designed to take both sizes. Its a Real Bull

Best Regards

Picclock

Latest posts

Back