3D modeling software wanted.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
Getting pissed off with Alibre ignoring messages and it's time to look for other software.

Any idea's ?

Must be 3D modelling, don't suggest Solid Works or Solid Edge, too expensive for what I need. Not interested in Sketchup either, doesn't suit the way I work.

So far looked at ViaCAD V8 but you have to fill a form in the get the download page and so far no response.

Varicad, looks decent but need to try the demo.

Anything else I should be looking at in the £500 - $750 mark tops ?

John S.

What about SketchUp from Google - it's free !

John-

What issues are you having with Alibre?

I have used Alibre a little bit, and Solidworks quite a bit, but there are a number of Albire users here.

You having hardware or software issues?

Pat J

John;
Give ViaCAD V8 a try. I use ViaCAD V7 Pro and I like it. You can download both V8 and V7 Pro and try them both out to see which one you like. That is what I did with V6 and V6 Pro.
They also have a very good support.
Richard

Ive used autodesk inventor for about a year now and it seems pretty good, I learned on both solidworks and inventor and they are fairly similar. I think it starts at about $795 which is more than you said, but they have free trials, and if you have a .edu email you get it and lots of other autodesk software free for 3 years which is quite a good deal. (if you dont have a .edu email you can PM as I have quite a few.)

-George

Some very good points made here, thank you .

First a bit of History. I was in with Alibre from the start when they announced a free version called Xcad and then renamed it Alibre Express and gave away 10,000 licenses. A lot of people were not pleased over this and accused them of a bait and switch because they didn't get the full version, only express ??

A lot were on about taking a class action out over the bait and switch routine but I stood up for Alibre and said "Fine you will get back exactly what you have put in - nothing. " Their CEO at the time Greg [ name escapes me ] emailed me and thanked me for sticking up to them and as a gesture of goodwill gave me a few extra's on the free license.

Later on when Express was dropped and PE came out I paid the upgrade and these features were carried on.

I must admit I never got round to using the program other than a few tutorials, recently I came to re-install V11.2 and got into a loop saying the computer name and site key were invalid and couldn't get out this loop.
Got a print out of license numbers but no way to enter anything as the program wouldn't run, just this loop.

Emailed support in the US where I bought it from and they sent me a new license number which was the same as one I already had. Emailed them back and sent screen shots of the loop screens and just got ignored which pissed me off.

Later today I was contacted by the UK reseller, Mintronics who now informs me that v11.2 will not run on W7.

Nowhere on the install screen does it say it will not run on W7.

So state of play is I can pay to upgrade to V2012 and my extra features will still carry on and in all fairness to Mintronics they have been very helpful which is more than I can say over Alibre, TX.

Because this original post was posted on 3 forums and this same reply is going to all three i have been given a few leads in the price bracket I was looking.

I don't need this for business, it's purely a hobby concept it's needed for hence not wanting to outlay for full commercial software.

Cons for staying with Alibre is the large user base, local support if bought in the UK and extra features.
Against is this reliance on being internet based, something that is making me look elsewhere.

Over the next couple of weeks I propose to look at Viacad, ZW3D, Varicad and then make a decision.

John S.

I run alibre v11.2 on windows 7. For a work round right click on your shortcut, go to propities, now click compatibilities, next mark the tick box "run this program in compatibility mode", now select vista service pack 2, that should work for you, any other problems just PM me i use alibre alot and i may be able to help you.

If you are considering changing vero visi is nice to work with and they seem to have offers on occasionally.

Nope sorry, seems like Alibre has changed the checking feature and get into the same loop.

John S.

One reason that I went with SW instead of Inventor is that they did not require an automatic $1,500.00 first year support fee, and on top of that, SW was considerably cheaper than Inventor.

SW also does not require connection to the internet to operate, which is a must for me due to client confidentiality.

I had some initial issues getting SW to run, but was able to get some support and get it working. SW is not perfect, and it has a few bugs in it, but nothing that stops me from using it.

Getting software and hardware support can be frustrating, no doubt.
I have experienced my fair share of that, and sometimes have had to retire equipment just to get around the problem.

Having struggled through the learning process of 3D modeling without technical support, I can attest to the difficulty of learning 3D, but having learned it, I would never consider going back to 2D except for rudimentary sketching.

Pat J

Against is this reliance on being internet based, something that is making me look elsewhere.

This is not correct. I run Alibe on my shop system with no internet connection. When you install it will come to the registration screen. When no Internet connection is found it will present you with a machine name an ID code, and a URL to get a key. At that point I plugged my machine into the net, clicked the URL, got a key back which I then plugged into the registration screen.

I leave than machine off the net and Alibre works fine.

I suspect you will look long and hard before you find a better value than Alibre. Sure, I'd like Solidworks, but for a hobby there is no way I can justify the cost.

Alibre is extremely responsive if you haven't bought anything yet :D

BobCad is another "love to hate" 3D CAD/CAM program.. it's cheap and works, more or less. They can be bargained down a very long way off the list price.

Ok I have to go against the grain and play the bad side. There's no doubt Solidworks is an amazing software and the best I have played with 3d modeling. Everything is free if you look on the internet..everything.....

If you didn't take a somalian copy, you would NEVER have the opportunity to use it.

I have and use alibre you do not have to connect the computer you use it on to the net you can load the program and a keycode generator.
I have and like Alibre . It does work on Win 7 the 2112 version is improved over the last one. But they want $199 a year for a maintenance /upgrade license.

HeeksCad is free/open source interesting concept. worth a try.
Tin

Ok I have to go against the grain and play the bad side. There's no doubt Solidworks is an amazing software and the best I have played with 3d modeling. Everything is free if you look on the internet..everything.....

If you didn't take a somalian copy, you would NEVER have the opportunity to use it.
If you are taking software piracy that is illegal. promoting such activity on this board will not be tolerated.
Tin

Latest posts

Back