3D Drawing/Printing exercise in design

Discussion in '3-D Printers' started by ddmckee54, Apr 27, 2018.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jan 1, 2019 #41

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

Looks good - how about a video of it in action?

2. Jan 2, 2019 #42

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Cogsy:

You'd need steadier hands than I've got to do that.

My original intention with the Colt was to unilaterally arm my nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews this Christmas, we're gong to be getting together when my brother comes up from Mississippi in a couple of weeks. When it didn't look like I'd get the bugs worked out in time I went to Plan-B and printed out some puzzle boxes instead. The plan now is to take the prototype along and I'll take orders for the rubber band guns. That way "mom and dad" have a say in whether or not the kids are armed.

I expect that there'll be a little "field-testing" by the kids and maybe we can get some video of that.

Don

Cogsy likes this.
  3. Jan 3, 2019 #43

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

I once printed out a puzzle box for my kids. Basically a round tube with a maze on it that slides inside a hexagonal tube with a locating lug. The idea was you have to solve the maze blind to get the tubes to separate and get to the rewards inside. I chucked some cash in there and let my kids loose, not really expecting they'd solve it. 10 minutes later they had it apart and pocketed my cash! Turns out the locating pin wore down very quickly as they worked it and it eroded enough that it wouldn't engage again. One of these days I'll have a look at fitting an improved locating pin without showing its location on the outside.

4. Jan 3, 2019 #44

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

ddmckee54

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

The puzzle box you described sounds a lot like the ones that I printed. Especially since the first one that I printed did about the same thing as you described. However, I beefed up both the number of perimeters and the infill percentage and I haven't had that problem since.