2 cylinder flame licker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jim, good to see you getting involved I posts. I have started back on this engine now that the weather has cooled down a bit, so stay tuned.

As far as the fires are going, they are still burning but the cooler weather has helped a lot. We've had whole towns threatened, but the wind changed at the last minute and swung the fire away.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I'm getting ready to make some swarf today or tomorrow hopefully, so getting as much as I can out of the posts on here!

I'm glad to hear that it's getting cooler.

Hang in there fellers, I'm kept too busy with other things at the moment to get much machining time, plus were due for another few days of stinking hot weather.

Paul.

Here are a few more bits that I have been working on in brief spurts when the heat and other commitments allow. The brass bit is the pivot that will work the 2 valves, and the others are shafts that connect the valves to the pivot. I should have included a rule in the picture for scale, but the pin in the brass piece is 2.5mm dia.

Paul.

bonjour
j'ai réalisé ce moteur mais je n'ai pas encore reussi à le faire tourner : Mur:,je vous souhaite plus de chance ,je vais suivre de pres votre realisation

IMG_5808 [800x600].jpg

Hi, looks like a great job, too bad that you could not get it to run. It looks like you have aluminium valves, are the pistons aluminium as well? I know that they are difficult to get running, but I will persevere with it when I get it finished.

Paul.

Mine was a doorstop but if yours is also a doorstop, it is certainly better looking than mine.

Jim

bonjour
sur le plan du cylindre sur la vue du haut l'axe de la lumiere d'admission est a 12mm mais sur la vue du bas a gauche l'axe est a 11,5mm ???
vous avez mis quelle cote 12mm ou 11,5mm ?

Roughassy_zpsc705986c.jpg

The poster is asking about the position of the inlet to the cylinder where the flame heat is sucked in. They are correct in pointing out that there is a conflicting size, in one view it shows 13mm minus half slot width, 1.5mm, which gives 11.5mm to centreline, in another view it shows 12mm to centreline. I've machined mine to the 12mm size, but when I check the position of everything around this feature, the correct dimension is 11.5mm. I can't imagine it being critical to the working of the engine.

Paul.

bonjour
j'ai reussi a faire tourner le mien ,j'ai refait les alesages et les pistons,il faut un minimum de jeu ,je mettrais une video des qu'il sera bien au point

bonjour
j'ai reussi a faire tourner le mien ,j'ai refait les alesages et les pistons,il faut un minimum de jeu ,je mettrais une video des qu'il sera bien au point

hello
I managed to run mine, I redid the bores and pistons, it takes a minimum of play, I'd put a video of it will be well developed

Thanks for the translation heffump, I always run it through a translator. The video of the engine is great, I hope that mine runs as we'll. I've been away in Sydney for a few days at a conference, we're just waiting for the airport transfer to pick us up. I will have a bit of catching up to do on the forum when I get back home.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Speedy recovery. Take care.
Just came back from Japan.Beautiful weather------11----15 C day time. The day I left Tokyo,the temperature dropped 18 C and snow came. Good food .Put on 2kg. Have 4 kg to shed off. Hopefully the Feb 22---28 Burma Bank fishing trip will help me lose some weight.
Now building a 4'' R.T. . Hobbing DIY worm gear. After doing hobbing,find it hard to accept I have to cut spur gears tooth by tooth.:hDe:

I haven't forgotten about this build, I've had a lot going on lately. I have made a couple of more parts and will post pictures shortly.

One problem that I have had is with my computer, it was an old windows XP system, and its finally packed up. With Microsoft no longer supporting XP after April 2014, I decided that it was time for a new computer. I'm still setting up my new desktop with Windows 8, so stay tuned there will be more to come.

Paul.

Next parts to make were the connecting rods, the drawing called for 2mm thick brass, not having any this thickness I decided to use some steel plate that I had in the right size. I cut a piece big enough to clamp on the mill table, with a piece of wood as a packer. I then machined the holes required and milled the straight sides down to size.

After cutting out the parts, I machined the tapered sides. A bit of a clean up with some emery, and then into the blackening solution.

And here we have a picture of some of the parts to date.

Paul.

All the parts are now finished and I started to assemble this morning, however I had an issue with some parts clashing and upon checking the drawing I found an error. I will have to rectify it before I can continue with the assembly. I better notify Jan Ridders, as this is the second error on this set of drawings.

Paul.

Well here we are, it's finally assembled, I actually managed to have it running for a short time. But as most flame lickers are notorious to get running, I'm pretty happy to get it running straight away even in short bursts, I will work on it a bit more to fine tune the running.

I hope that the picture is not too large, I'm still trying to get my head around Windows 8.1 and all my photo software is on my dead computer.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Congrats on your engine. Can you post problems and fixes you did to the plans. This engine is on my short list an I don't want build a part and have it be wrong.

Terry

Hi Terry, I will post the fixes to the drawings shortly to assist you and any others thinking of making this engine.

Paul.

hello
Congratulations, it is very well machined.
there is little to be condensation that forms

Latest posts

Back