1936 Midget magazine plan engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This engine is a, single cylinder, air cooled four stroke. It was a two part article featured in Popular Mechanics magazine in 1936 by E.C. Wittick. "Midget Gas Engine" Part 1 was making the wood patterns for the aluminum crank case and the cast Iron cylinder and flywheel.
Part 2 was "machining the castings" In the article there are pictures of the engine in a model boat.
The bore is 1-1/4". The hardest part of this engine is getting the valves to seat properly in the head, and then machining the cam shaft. All of the parts were sand cast in my backyard in a very small propane fueled furnace. The machining was done on a South Bend 9" lathe.

dscn9275.jpg

cylinder.jpg

dscn9291.jpg

dscn9389.jpg

flywheel.jpg

i have one of those which i have gone half old school and half modern using a honda cylinder from a ohv brush cutter modified and mounted on the crankcase
but have kept the original parts also
will post photo tomorrow runs nice as original and just as nice modified but better oil controll with the honda top end and also enclosed the cam gears in a nice gearcase

these are the photos of the old and new midget had a great time building this nice to see more around

Attachments

• 1936 midget 1.jpg
    1936 midget 1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 65
  • 1936 midget2.jpg
    1936 midget2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 67
  • 1936 midget3.jpg
    1936 midget3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 1936 midget 4.jpg
    1936 midget 4.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 69
Hello so I really like this engine design and would love to build one. Are there plans available of the midget gas engine
Mike
Yes, Look for the 1936 issue of Popular Mechanics magazine, all the issues are posted online. The first part is in the October issue and the machining part is in the November issue.

This engine is a, single cylinder, air cooled four stroke. It was a two part article featured in Popular Mechanics magazine in 1936 by E.C. Wittick. "Midget Gas Engine" Part 1 was making the wood patterns for the aluminum crank case and the cast Iron cylinder and flywheel.
Part 2 was "machining the castings" In the article there are pictures of the engine in a model boat.
The bore is 1-1/4". The hardest part of this engine is getting the valves to seat properly in the head, and then machining the cam shaft. All of the parts were sand cast in my backyard in a very small propane fueled furnace. The machining was done on a South Bend 9" lathe.

View attachment 99913

View attachment 99914

View attachment 99915

View attachment 99916

View attachment 99917

A nice engine !

Back