1936 Midget engine from Popular Mechanics magazine plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my Midget engine. It has an 1-1/4 inch bore and is built from castings. The first part of the magazine article had drawings for making the patterns for the Crank case halves, the Cylinder, cylinder head, Cast Iron flywheel, brass connecting rod, venturi, and timer points bracket. The rest of the parts are machined. It would be pretty easy to machine the cylinder and piston from bar stock.

Quite a few of these engines have been built and they do run pretty good.

Attachments

• Midget Engine  thumb.jpg
    Midget Engine thumb.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 612
  • Midget Engine IF-04.jpg
    Midget Engine IF-04.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 636
  • Midget Engine still 2.JPG
    Midget Engine still 2.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_6341.JPG
    IMG_6341.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 598
  • Midget engine layout.jpg
    Midget engine layout.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 610
  • Midget valves and head.jpg
    Midget valves and head.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 591
  • Midget rocker arm drawing.jpg
    Midget rocker arm drawing.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 593
Ah it's your engine that first made me aware of the design when on of your videos popped up on Youtube so thanks for that. I ended up cutting mine from solid and scaled it down to 24mm bore and made a few other alterations.

Ah it's your engine that first made me aware of the design when on of your videos popped up on Youtube so thanks for that. I ended up cutting mine from solid and scaled it down to 24mm bore and made a few other alterations.

Jason, excellent build. I had been thinking of making a 1 inch bore version of the Midget for quite some time, because really the Midget isn't very small. Remarkable how your engine sounds exactly like mine! Thanks for sharing this.

I usually go to google books for most of my old stuff.

I'll try Google books, I just found archive.org looking for a mechanical drawing book.

Not to HiJack, quick question. I found Archive dot org but inaccurate info with archiveX. Might you have the URL? Thanks Ken

Looks awesome. I've often thought of building a scaled down version with a 1 inch bore.

Latest posts

Back