1915 and 1941 Machineries Handbook

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
PDF on Google books and oldie but goodie
Link

go to the gear symbol top right corner of page then to dowload PDF itwill ask for a verification then it will download.
The above link is for the 1915 edition
the 1941 link is post 24 page 3.
Tin

That's Great Stuff!
I really enjoy reading the old thoughts and ideas.

Take a look at Page 1191 about shop floors.
"Machine shop floors are commonly made of wood or concrete.
Probably there is no floor for the machine shop as good as one
made of selected hard maple, properly laid and supported, as it
wears smoothly and evenly."

Rick

The old wooden floors were the best. They were not laid as planks. Large 12x12 beams were cut into short lengths and laid upright so you were walking on the end grain. Chips just pushed down into it. I worked in a shop with that just before OSHA came along with their grumpy inspectors. Federal regs weren't all bad, I remember 12 year old kids running turret lathes with big 4 jaw chucks. :eek:

Sorry for relying to such old treads, but since most things here are old; Topics, engines, and I dare say most members! ;) I hope you can accept my inappropriateness!

I just want to ask if anyone can tell me more on how such floors were constructed. Where the built directly in the ground? Having endwood sticking up should possibly mean that they can stand more moisture from the ground???

The old endgrain wooden floors were typically built up over a shiplap (T&G boarding run on a diagonal) base that was laid over rather large joists. Everett Tool & Die had such a floor as did the tooling shop at Grumman's Bethpage (NY) facility. They are much nicer on the feet than concrete.

Many, many years ago, I got to sit at a ASTME (now: SME) dinner between Leroy Grumman and Frank W. Jones.

Lew_Merrick_PE
Where in the world are you? Long Island?

Tony

jerryc said:
The old wooden floors were the best. They were not laid as planks. Large 12x12 beams were cut into short lengths and laid upright so you were walking on the end grain. Chips just pushed down into it. I worked in a shop with that just before OSHA came along with their grumpy inspectors. Federal regs weren't all bad, I remember 12 year old kids running turret lathes with big 4 jaw chucks. :eek:

Hey, (1) I started my apprenticeship when I was 13! That was one of the best things that ever happened to me. (2) I remember when it was almost a proof of experience to be missing a finger in a machine or wood shop. Complain all you want about OSHA (and we all have our "OSHA horror stories), but the fact is that they have made working in the trades safer and more productive!

cobra428 said:
Lew_Merrick_PE
Where in the world are you? Long Island?

Tony, I am located just outside of Everett, WA. However, I have worked in every US State but Oklahoma as well as Canada, Germany, France, England, Nigeria, Zimbabwe-Rhodesia (which tells you how long ago that was), Mexico, Brazil, and Belize. I was working under a National Bureau of Standards contract doing work at Bethpage when I was invited (by Leroy) to the dinner in question.

Lew_Merrick_PE,
Once you mentioned Bethpage and you have another town in your name Merrick. I taught you where near me. Well, your a bit to far to come over and borrow a cup of Dykem from :big:

Tony

cobra428 said:
Lew_Merrick_PE,
Once you mentioned Bethpage and you have another town in your name Merrick. I taught you where near me. Well, your a bit to far to come over and borrow a cup of Dykem from :big:

Tony, Yeah, I made it from Seattle to Bethpage in 70 hours in January of 1984. I passed by (but not through) Merrick several times while working at Bethpage. I am there just often enough to forget that a "coffee regular" has cream and sugar in it.

I rarely use Dykem -- I learned to mix my own (prussian blue, japan driers, and acetone) as an apprentice. It gives a much darker coverage that is very, very thin and dries many times faster than Dykem. I was sent to the local industrial supply (1966) to buy a tube of prussian blue. One tube was $0.15 and a box of a dozen of tubes was $1. Yup, you guessed it, I bought a dozen (1 oz) tubes of prussian blue! I am willing to bet that half the tubes of prussian blue gathering dust in tool chests in western Washington are ones I have given away. I still had (the last time I had the correct box in my hands) four tubes left from that "purchase."

if you click on the first link there is a pdf tab up in the top right hand corner of the page right click on that and select save as.
Tin

I also am at a loss as to how to downoad this.
Tin, you say click on the first link, on my page the first link is = Technology & Engineering, is this the right one (it doesn't look like it to me).
Sorry for being such a dumbo.
Gordy

rake60 said:
That's Great Stuff!
I really enjoy reading the old thoughts and ideas.

Take a look at Page 1191 about shop floors.
"Machine shop floors are commonly made of wood or concrete.
Probably there is no floor for the machine shop as good as one
made of selected hard maple, properly laid and supported, as it
wears smoothly and evenly."

Rick

I spent my career in the machine shop at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. It's one of NASA's largest, about 8000 square feet. The main floor is end grain hardwood blocks on a concrete slab. The blocks are around 6 to 8 inches square and 4 inches thick.

It's a nice floor, much less fatiguing to stand on than concrete -- easy to nail things down, or cut troughs for pipes and cables. One problem: several years ago we had some minor flooding over a weekend due to a burst water pipe. The blocks soaked up the water and expanded, in open spaces rising in igloo-like bubbles. Amazing sight. When the blocks dried out, they settled back down, and everything returned to normal.

David Clark in Southern Maryland, USA

thanks all, seems though we dont get the exact same page?! Never mind, ive got enough to read on this subject! ;D But thanks! :)

Go to the Internet Archive, you can get a copy of the 15 edition there.

Just a note to anyone that is interested in this book.

It is the 15th edition.

It was published in 1956.

It is not the 1915 edition.

I believe the first edition was probably published in 1914 as that is the first copywrite date in my 11th edition which was printed in 1942.

Cheers :)

Don

the first link in this post,written back in may , is to the 1915 edition on google books. The one on the internet archive posted by me today April 15, says 1914 but is the 15th ,1956 edition both are available to download
Tin

Latest posts

Back