10 Years and counting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickDastardly40

Reaction score
Perhaps this belongs in 'Humour in Model Engineering' rather than it's own thread however:

DSCF1977.jpg

Hopefully you can see the post mark on this Jiffy envelope is 5 Oct 98 which is 10 years ago today. In this envelope came the plans for the triple expansion engine I am currently trying to build from scratch.

It all seemed so easy when I decided I'd build something to demonstrate I was no longer a shiny @rsed pen pusher.

I expect I don't hold any sort of record for longevity of a project but sometimes I wished I'd picked something a little more straightforward or even a kit!

Any body else got any long termers?

Al

When it was mailed 10 years back that was probably considered good for international mail, that why e-mail took of so fast.

;D Bunch of amateurs! My Stuart Beam took 17 years. Mainly because of a period of inactivity while I got on with other projects, but .....

I think i have you all beat here

31 years, i have been working on a solar engine, a bit here, a bit there, and along the way they became known as a lamina engine. it has worked but reiterations , new tricks learned, a career in the army and another in Civilian government along the way , well its all added up to delays, redesigns, mark 2's, 3's etc etc mark 47 or so i think i'm at now.

this and Sterling engines have taken me from Meccano sets when i was a kid.

I hope to have a new Grizzly mini lathe in a couple of months and be able to finish the Solar engine once and for all ( called a Titan In Australia, from Titan Machinery )

then i hope ( a large and very remote one) to build a full scale one , large enough to power a home and workshop.

just hope it dont take another 31 years to build that one.

cheers

jack

Go to " Engines From Castings "
First page down on the end " A Stuart Turner Triple Expansion Engine "
Hilmar

PA: I should be ashamed of my self

Hilmar,

Storage doesn't count! ;D :big:

If we still see the engine in progress after 37 years from now....then............ :big:

Nice work by the way..

Dave

Latest posts

Back