Show and Tell

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
My 10 year old daughter's science class are trying to design a 'rover' for exploring a different planet in our solar system, and while they were discussing different methods of propulsion, my daughter mentioned to her teacher that I had some model engines. So I got an invite to show the class my models.

It turned out to be a 45 minute demonstration/lecture on various different types of engine, and I demoed both of my Stirling engines (purchased models) and my unfinished Flamelicker that I'm currently working on (my first build).

The Stirling engines were a hit, especially my twin flywheel high-speed engine, but I got the best response to my Flamelicker. I got it to run for over 1 minute and the kids were thrilled with the sight and sound of it, but particularly that I'd built it myself.

The kids were attentive, respectful and interested in my presentation and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite having a morbid fear of public speaking :eek:. If you get the chance to do something similar, I definitely recommend it!

Cheers,

Good for you Al! Doing these kinds of things for school rooms is important.

I don't know how it is on your end of the globe, but around here most elementary school teachers come from a language arts background. There is nothing wrong with language arts, and lord knows I could use some help with it. However people gravitate toward that background tend to think science is "Hard" or "Icky". By the time the kids get into middle school, the also have the opinion that science is hard.

When my kids were in grade school, I used to go in monthly and do science tricks for their class just so they would see science as fun. I loved the look on the kindergarten (5 and 6 year-olds here in the US) teacher's face when I would walk into the room with a huge tarp and a horse trough :)

Back