1" traction engine governor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I was approached by a fellow who is building a 1 inch traction engine. He asked if I would be interested in building the governor for it. We worked out a deal and he sent me the castings and miscellaneous pieces for it. I started last Friday and finished it today. While I was building it I didn't notice how rough the base casting was but when I took the pictures they sure made it look coarse. I guess the new owner can do the finish work on it.
gbritnell

IMG_5371.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

I don't know George - that roughness lends an air of authenticity - lets face it some of the real equipmnt could be pretty rough where it didn't need to be better.

Lovely workmanship as per usual.

I hope you got the better half of the deal ? - you certainly earned it !

Ken

The hardest part was making the balls. It's been so long since I made mine I forgot what was involved. The drawings call for sandwiching and soldering 2 pieces of stock to a piece of .015 brass shim stock and then turning them into balls. The reason for the shim stock is to provide a slot for the link that goes from the center of the ball to the top of the governor. I ended up turning them on the end of a piece of round stock, slitting them with a .016 saw and then soldering a small piece into the outside of the slot to give them I finished look. Even at that they were a pain to make. The second hard part was the small forked link that goes from the sawyer's lever to a slotted bushing on the valve stem. This in full sized practice is to override the governor when more power is needed. The link is a U shape with the tips of the U having cylindrical projections that fit into the bushing.
gbritnell

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

Thanks George, I am really happy with the governor, I got it on dads stuart s-50 for now. Need to determine the pully size and then machine it.
Thanks for your help, Ryker Carruthers

Beautiful work as always George.Your many talents are simply amazing!!!!

Bill

That casting is rough, but it is a nice counterpoint to your excellent
parts. A bit like a fashion model posed against a rough brick wall

Regards Les :bow: :bow:

Back