1. Metal Glue? 2.Chip Guard bellows

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamboat willie

Reaction score
Hello!
I am making some angle plates that will be screwed together and buttressed for use with my newly acquired rotary table. I intend to use umbrako bolts for this purpose. I have however heard of a 'metal glue' that can assist in providing both strength and rigidity in this type of application. While the correct LocTite would probably serve this function I was wondering if anyone has any more specific information on this type of product.
Also,
I have a Sieg-X2 milling machine which has a chip guard bellows over the y axis. After years of faithful service this has cracked and needs replacing. I note that littlemachineshop in the US has it for sale for $7.87, but the postage to Australia is $18.17. I have found one here in Australia, at $28.05 with (local Australian) post of $12.10. As you can see, being at this end of the planet has its locational disadvantages. Can anyone direct me to a cheaper source of this item please? There seem to be a lot of this popular little machine about and so I am sure that someone has trod this path before me!
Many thanks!
Steamboat Willie. (aka Bill)

I suggest to download "The adhesive sourcebook" from the Loctite site, it has a lot of information about its adhesives. I've used Loctite 609 with good results for bonding metals. Read the specifications so you can choose the best adhesive, these may include: clearance fit, operating temperature, curing time, etc. It is also important to keep in mind the mechanical movement of the assembly: some adhesives can stand a lot of torque but aren't as good for axial forces.

Arc Euro Trade (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/default.aspx) sells chip guards but I think that postage can be expensive, I've put a few things in the shopping basket and the s&h costs can equal the cost of the tools. Although I'm close to U.S.A. the shipping costs are very high every time I've made a purchase at MicroMark or LMS, this end of the world is also a bit difficult for model engineers.

The link posted by lensman57 looks great. You can also try a search on how to make camera bellows and follow a similar procedure using a good thick vinyl material, those bellows must not necessarily be made of rubber.

Hello again!
A big thankyou to both lensman57 and albertorc for your great assistance. I will be following up both of these suggestions.
Isn't this Forum just great!
many thanks fellas!
Steamboat Willie.

No Worries mate,

It is a pleasure to be of help. I have almost learned ,whatever little as it maybe , on machining from this forum in the last 18 months since I took this hobby up. I used to be photographer, well still am, and used to participate in some of the discussions in other photo related forums. I gave up a long time ago because of idiots, and those people who made a religion out of brand ownership, very little discussion about the craft itself. Merciful god, no such problems here.

Regards,

A.G

A Glue i use is JB Weld its a 2 part glue very very strong too .
Rob.

Go to an automotive body shop and inquire about the bonding adhesive they now use for attaching patch panels to steel. It is absolutely unbelieveable how strong the bonding strength is. I have seen demo's where they beat a glued patch panel all to Hell with a ball pein hammer,---it eventually tore the steel patch panel apart but the glued joint didn't break.

Rob123,
Thanks for your suggestion. I have heard of this product from another quarter outside this Forum but was inclined to dismiss it as I was not too sure of the tech knowledge of the proponent. Since your suggestion I have investigated further and it seems to be the product that I need to use in this application. It seems that sparing use is the way to go with this product. I have been able to track a packet of it down (apparently it sells out really quickly whenever it comes in) and have paid my $20 in anticipation. I notice the cost of freight to this end of the planet...
Thanks again for your generous advice one and all!
Steamboat Willie.:)

Pleased to be of help Its around £25 here in the uk but the tubes are a good size and i only need a little for my product just to keep a bolt securely in place so it does go a long way .

Rob.

Latest posts

Back