1/5 IHC Famous Vertical Screen Cooled

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bin quetly watching this engine take shape.

Lovely work Jasan

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Stew

Hate to be a downer but something doesn't look right with the gear teeth on the cam gear. It looks like either the dividing wasn't done correctly or the teeth aren't all cut to the same depth, or the blank was eccentric to the centerline of the dividing head when the teeth were being cut. Look at the crests of the teeth and you will see that they aren't all the same width. The crank gear looks a little off too. Either the teeth are cut too deep or the o.d. of the blank was too small.

Then again, I may just be seeing things.

Greg

Chuck had shifted slightly on its mounting plate so the blank was a few thou eccentric to the Rotary table axis, should not be a problem on a low reving engine like this. Does look worse in the photo than on the actual gear. The crank gear looks less off as it was further from the chuck and nearer the tail centre.

J

Nice looking model and looks nicely done. I built one of the prototypes for Jim and wrote the article for the March 1995 issue of Gas Engine Magazine. I do hope you plan to paint it when you are finished. One thing I have always done was to use a two part (Imron) paint on my models. I started using One Shot sign painters paint that worked too. Paint everything that is to be painted before starting to machine and it saves a lot of work trying to paint around machined surfaces. Spot faces and all look real nice when you do this. A little run time on the engine with plenty of oil an all moving parts will get the oil into the CI and then unless you leave it out in the rain for sustained periods of time, it will not rust usually

Reading this makes me realise just how much I still need to learn; from work holding methods through to the way you have fabricated parts and hand-finished them. The engine looks great and is an inspiration.
Jim
:bow:

Fantastic work Jason!

Learning a lot from this post!!!

Andrew

Well I have spent a bit of time fiddling about with this one since the new year and have progressed from the odd pop through a couple of bangs to whats almost running. Most of the issues were with the ignitor but after a few rewound springs, a few more guesses of the parts that I could not read on the drawing playing with the dwell time and trip lever not to mention a sore finger from continually flicking it over its about right.

I'm not running it with the water pump at the moment so have got a couple of 5min runs out of it and will now pack it up ready to return to the guy I made it for, hopefully once he has it painted up and on a cart I'll get some photos and post them here.

Sorry the video is the wrong format, it is a Vertical engine honest ;)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/Hit n Miss/?action=view&current=VIDEO0013.mp4

J

Excellent Jason, love the water tank, gives me ideas for the R&V tank.

Cheers,
MartinH

PS. i have not forgot about the drawings ;-) Still struggling on.

Thanks Martin, I was only thinking teh other day about the pump drawings, should be worth the wait.

J

Engine pops away like a chapion Jason :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great work

Stew

It looks like it is on its side Jason, I would have expected it to be upside down from where I am viewing :big:

But it looks and sounds great. And I am in awe of the work you did on the small components. Thank you for sharing.

Jim

What a sweet runner; it has been fun following along.
Hope to see the finished project.

Dave

Latest posts

Back