1/3 scale muffler ideas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

Reaction score
The blueprints for my 1/3 scale Hit & Miss call for the fabrication of a brass "pancake" style muffler. Other than turning down a big hunk of brass stock, does anyone have any other ideas for a muffler?

Thanks Don

Don, to save material and turning time, could you use or make some brass pipe from smaller diameter stock and thread it into the back of the "pancake"?

Bill

The drawings show a thin brass bottom and top dome muffler. I have seen pictures of turned mufflers but didnt know if anyone had used anything else. I was thinking of looking for some brass cups and making them work... If not I have a large brass bar stock in the shop I would hate to turn down if I dont have to.

Maybe you could consider a less expensive material too and stick to the original design. I can understanding wanting to save the brass :)

Bill

It sounds like a part that is a prime candidate for fabrication, either by threading, as suggested, or by silver soldering.

Why not try metal spinning them, get the right grade of brass and spin it over a former. I would think the originals were steel spinnings or pressings so you could also do it in steel to look more authentic.

Once you have your spinning just silver solder on a threaded boss for the pipe.

I've turned them from brass and steel before but as you say its a bit wasteful particularly as the size gets larger

J

Thanks Jason, thats an interesting idea. I'm not sure how to go about spinning process though.

You make a former which can be held in the chuck or to the faceplate and then push the disc of metal against this with the tailstock.

The actual spinning is more like woodturning, the tool is handheld and bears on a rest which has a few pigs to pivot the tool against. The actual tool can be made buy fixing a ball bearing onto the end of a shaft.

Have a look on you-tube there are bound to be some videos.

I have only done it once and did not have any problems. The bright steel cap on teh end of this cylinder was the item spun from 20swg steel. The muffler should be easier as there are no sharp bends.

Cylinder3.jpg

Frontcylcover.jpg

Nice work :) Thanks for the idea. It's worth a try...

I ended up finding a set of solid brass sliding door handles at Home Depot 2" in diameter. I made 4 internal brass stand-offs and silver soldered. I am happy with the result. Have a look...

IMG_20110130_194232.jpg

Latest posts

Back