1/2 size steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
about a year ago i posted about a friends 1/2 size waterloo steam engine model (all 4 tons of it). well i finally found a picture of it so here it is
model_frampton_a195_20_JPG.jpg

the original engine was a 25 h.p...........this engine on a dyno at milton made 12.5 h.p.
the boiler is 8' long and 18" in dia. the guy running the engine is about 6' tall.
it is a big model but it is a wonderful engine to see.............the owner/operators are wonderful people as well ;D
the operator is the builders grandson and the lady standing behind the engine just to the left of the flywheel is the builders daughter.
the builder unfortunatly is no longer with us :(

chuck

the original engine was a 25 h.p...........this engine on a dyno at milton made 12.5 h.p.
Hmm interesting that is pretty good considering that horsepower is a cubed measurement so in theory a half sized model would be expected to put out 1/8 (1/ 2^3) of the original sounds like he is running on higher rpms or something to make the higher horsepower. Or it is not to true scale.
Tin

it is very very close to true scale but i think were this engine is better than the original is that it has a welded boiler and carries 170 psi of steam were the original (if i'm not mistaken ) only has 125 psi.

non the less it is a great little engine 8)

chuck

Latest posts

Back