Your most useless tool?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one of the coax indicators and also found it useless. I put it in the consignment sale at Cabin Fever and Im sure someone was very excited to get a good buy on it.

At the Kinzer show one year I found a tailstock tool turret. I thought I always needed one,and as I was digging out my wallet to pay for it I said something like "Ive always thought one of these would be useful" The seller said, 'Yeah, me too, but I never used it'.

I never used it either. Anytime I had a job where it might be useful to use I didnt want to stop to set up all the tool holders it needed.

My most useless tools ?? My mill & lathe Rof} Generically, any related tools/tooling ...

All that sat pretty much unused for 4+ years till I decided to really put them to use late last year and finally built a small engine (Millie). :big: Now that I've that done, I need to start another engine to keep the motivation going :D

Mike

My lathe face plate has never, ever, been used -- by me. I am sure that that is because I lack the experience and technique. But to date, I have not had a need (desire) to break it out.

Fixturing and 4 jawing has been my method of choice. To me it is simpler to fixture a part and mount the fixture in a 4 jaw chuck. Or mount it directly in the 4 jaw.

I have articles and write ups on mounting work on a faceplate. Usually it involves clamp blocks, counter weights, and a bench centering technique. Some write ups include special fixtures for the faceplate. Some suggest a differing variety of faceplate with orthogonal scribing. Are they suggesting a new machining experience or talent?

Someone, tell me how much I'm missing out on.

I was going to say,the set of hollow hole punches I bought probably ten years ago,but blow me down,my daughters partner asked me the other day if I could make him some leather tips for his pool cue.So the $5 punch set has finally seen some use 8).
One item that is as useless as a two-bob watch is a Chino honing stone I got.The rough side is so coarse you could shape concrete with it,and the fine side is so soft I gouged it the 1 and only time I used it. It's now growing fur in some dark corner where I threw it.
But you could be right,Jpaul.I've never used my faceplate either,nor the dog driver I also have.

This is going to be one of those one man's meat is another man's poison.

What really brought this home to me was a thread on another forum about a shop table pocket book.

I have made my own putting pages in one of those laminated folder books. The first and last page are decimal equivalents so no matter which way I open the book they are there.

Next two pages are motor frame sizes and motor shaft end details because I do a *lot* of motor rework and repairs.
I'm probably the only guy on the planet that needs this details just as some never use a faceplate.

John S.

Mine was a Craftsman 618 lathe. I picked it up about ten years ago and can count on one hand the number of projects that I completed on it. It didn't have much tooling and it had been well used before I got it. I found my Smithy and put the 618 on craigslist and doubled my money so I really have no complaints. I would like to get a mill but space is a problem so I will stay with my present set up.

Jack

lathe face plate...never used...but it came with the lathe
surface gage...never used but self-stabbed twice
transfer punch set...used once to help center something
all the stuff that came with the rotary table...never used
center it (that v-shaped thingy you put round bar in)...never used

at least half of every kit of drill bits, end mills, and tap and die kits

I've used a number of things once...but hope to more often...

oh...and some advice I've been given...never used but not useless :big:

Zee,

You can't really mention almost all you have said, because if they are standard sizes, you should use them in the future as your skill grows. All except the centre it thingy, but all is not lost with that, you might be able to cut it up and use the metal somewhere else.

Here is an example.

I have a few sets of different standards of transfer punches. They are one of the most useful bits of tooling in my shop, and I use them all the time.

By finding one that fits tight into a hole you have just drilled, you can then, used in conjuction with an angle gauge or DTI set that hole at any angle you want in your vice. For ganging up multiple drilled parts on, and then setting up in the vice for mass machining. Hundreds of bucks cheaper than a set of precision drill blanks, but plenty good enough for what we do.

That is just a couple of uses, you can also very easily use them for what they were designed for, plus most probably dozens of other uses as well.

Don't discount a lot of your tooling until you have seen if there are other uses for them as well.

Blogs

The only useless tool I can think of is the one I don't have yet. ;D

Some get used more than others,but all have a purpose.

Matt

zeeprogrammer said:
oh...and some advice I've been given...never used but not useless :big:

Blogwitch said:
Don't discount a lot of your tooling until you have seen if there are other uses for them as well.

Same for the advice. :big:

No...I knew adding the bit about the...bits and things shouldn't have been included. I got on a roll about what I haven't used yet. ;D The only one I have serious doubts about in the future is the surface gage.

The thing (base) that came with my milling vice that allows it to rotate 360 deg, and the taper attachment for my lathe.
Rex

No tool is useless, anything can be used as a hammer.

I bought a keyway broach set a while back, and like the others I HAD to have it. Other than just practice peices, I have never wanted to use it in any of my projects. Set screws work fine, and my plans for making a small 3 or 4 speed transmission are on the back burner til I learn the ART of gearmaking. So for now it just takes up space in the tool chest.

How bout the quill handles. I took those of the second I put my mill in the back of my freinds truck to get it here, and they have never been put back on. Other than drilling a bunch of holes, there pretty much useless, unless you like smacking your head.

Or the steady and follow rest. I am positive these are incredibly useful, but I just cant seem to figure it out. There is never any room for the carridge to move. so they sit.

as mentioned before, the faceplate. I have only used the faceplate on my rotary table. and never on the lathe. I tried it once, and things were wacky.
didn't like it.

Ah what els,

t-slot cleaner

I had an edge finder for three years before I got the internet and figured out how to use it.

Oh ya, the x-axis on my DRO. Its still works, if your looking for a way to randomly pick lottery numbers.

and many more.....

kel

I've got quite a few that are useless.

At the top of my list would be three drill presses.

1) A small bench model is sitting out in the garage, and I haven't been able to give it away.
2) A large bench model sits behind me on the floor, and serves well as a place to store odds and ends.
3) A large 17" floor model that I bought new sits next to my lathe, and makes a very sturdy, but expensive coffee cup holder.

If I keep going I might be here all night. :big:

Ah, yes, surface gages.

I was given a nice Starrett which I lovingly restored, knowing that it was such an essential part of the machinist's armament. I think I used it once to lay out the water line on a model ship and that job could have been done with a block of wood and a pencil.

The original role of the SG was to do layout on a surface plate, a role that's been largely superseded by the modern height gage with scriber.

I can't think of anything I do where the SG would be the optimum choice of tool.

And now a bit of machinist's trivia for the novices... What is the purpose of the ball turned into the end of the rod on the SG?

I bought some radius gauges at a sale. Used them once.

And metal butcher, would you be interested in selling one of those drill presses?

I thought some more about this(ouch,that hurt ;D)
Just because you have a tool and not used it doesn't make it useless.
How often do you use your left hand,or right hand for you left-hookers?
But try pulling up your pants with one hand :big:

wes said:
I bought some radius gauges at a sale. Used them once.

And metal butcher, would you be interested in selling one of those drill presses?

Wes. I'm not physically capable of lifting one up, and I definatly can't pack up or ship one.

But, if you live within a short driving distance, the small old American made one in the garage is a freebie. It's hot wired and needs a proper on/off switch, or another motor . Send me a PM if your interested.

-Rick

bentprop said:
I thought some more about this(ouch,that hurt ;D)
Just because you have a tool and not used it doesn't make it useless.
How often do you use your left hand,or right hand for you left-hookers?

You're right. In the cosmic sense, every tool is useful. There's always some poor sod who couldn't live without it.

However, there are many tools which *appear* more useful than they are in the reality of the hobbyist's shop. The intent of this thread is to identify such tools so that the folks who haven't yet been sucked into buying them will think twice before doing so.

Recently I found what I like to call a BIL (brother-in-law) tool - so hilariously useless you're tempted to buy it as a present for some guy you don't like a lot.

Gentlemen:

I present to you...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WS22ZQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

the talking digital tire pressure gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
mklotz said:
You're right. In the cosmic sense, every tool is useful. There's always some poor sod who couldn't live without it.

However, there are many tools which *appear* more useful than they are in the reality of the hobbyist's shop. The intent of this thread is to identify such tools so that the folks who haven't yet been sucked into buying them will think twice before doing so.

Recently I found what I like to call a BIL (brother-in-law) tool - so hilariously useless you're tempted to buy it as a present for some guy you don't like a lot.

Gentlemen:

I present to you...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WS22ZQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

the talking digital tire pressure gauge.

I don't know, Marv. Sounds like this would be perfect for the blind driver who wanted to check his tire pressure!

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back