Y.a.w.n.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachside_Hank

Reaction score
Yet Another Wobbling Newbie here, showing my progress on the build.

I decided to use the L.M.S. Wobbler Kit #2594 as a shakedown project for my 16” Sieg lathe I got from Micromark. I’d spent considerable time detailing the machine and putting in the mods that seemed most useful for it, and so wanted to see what she’d do for me. All in all I’m very happy with it and found only one small issue, that being the cross slide nut was loose, causing about .032” of backlash. Tightening the nut’s mounting screws put me in the more acceptable range of about .010- .012”, that being good enough for my work and a good number in general.

So far I’ve got the cylinder, upright, and flywheel in process. I played with some vision of what I wanted the cylinder to look like- more cylinder that block- and the flywheel was destined to have lightening holes around the spoke area. I used a vector drawing program to get hole spacing, cut and cemented it to the blank and drilled away, now I just need to finish turning to dimension.

Wobbler1small.jpg

Well, it happens to all of us sometimes. I was wanting to trick out my wobbler cylinder with a bit of fancywork to get away from the bar stock look, so I thought doing some radius cutting would look nice. Problem was form vs. function collided when I didn't properly foresee the effect turning would have in removing needed material from the upper end. A flat is required to effect cutoff of supply when the cylinder pivots from inlet to power stroke (blade tip area), else it'll just blow by and stall. Not having a mill, I think I'll just bore a shallow hole there and screw in a plug which can then be surfaced flat to do the job as designed.

As is oftentimes mentioned, visualization of the whole piece is the first tool we use. :wall:

WobblerScrewupSm.jpg

My adventures with the wobbler are all going according to plan. The important thing here for me is the real purpose of this build is to shake down my new 7x lathe and there's enough spread of techniques to disclose performance areas that need attention. Latest is the tailstock to spindle relationship, which manifested itself when boring and reaming the flywheel for the shaft, the end result was several thou larger in diameter than wanted, so an alignment of centers was done using the shank of a reamer as a reference by flipping it end for end and moving the tailstock back until it read 0/0 each end.

TailstockAdjust.jpg

Bores nice and true now, so it's on to the next chapter of this saga.

Latest posts

Back