X2 Mill Overhaul - Advice welcome

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin,

Those scales and display can actually be set to read to 5 decimal places in imperial, 0.00002", but I think you would be just chasing numbers to use it like that, just breathing on them would send them spinning.

John

HOLY CR@P!!!

I'd think a gnat's fart would prolly send it to the wild blue yonder!

ksouers said:
I'd think a gnat's fart would prolly send it to the wild blue yonder!

Too true :D ....... but it appears we now have the means to measure the "Holy Grail" in accuracy ........... or in other words a "Gnat's Cock Hair" ............... Chap's; please forgive the wording, I hope no offence is taken but to be fair this almost a British Standard 8) , the only way this could be bettered is by the almost unimaginable achievement of "Half a Gnat's Cock hair" ............. but we will stick with what we have :D

OK ................. we have the means to measure it but .............. help required ........

1) We need a Sample ::)
2) We need a means to be able to focus on it
3) We then need a means to manipulate said sample to the measuring area ........

................... which is next door to the Loch Ness Monster's BBQ area ;D

CC ;)

We have a similar measure here in the colonies, an RCH.
Red
C (fill in the blank)
Hair

Also measured to the half-width.

And nearly as elusive, I might add. True red-head females are hard to find.

CC,
My DRO for the big mill arrived today. It seems I have the same scales you do, Sino. The display is also a Sino but a slightly different layout than yours.

I have a question... You have yellow tabs on the read head, did you remove them? My read head feels a bit rough and I think it's those tabs. I didn't read anywhere that they should be removed, but heck that Chinglish is hard enough to read :eek:

If you removed them, how do they come off? Just undo the screws and pull it out?

Kevin,
The yellow tags are to hold the scales in place prior to mounting, when everything is fixed, including the jacking screws they are removed by undoing a tiny screw.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I had tried removing one, just so I'd know how it was done. It came loose from the head but wouldn't come out of the scale easily. I guess it'll take a small bit of prying to get it out.

Take the screw out and it should come off easily Kevin.

CrewCab said:
........... or in other words a "Gnat's Cock Hair" ............... Chap's; please forgive the wording, I hope no offence is taken but to be fair this almost a British Standard 8) , the only way this could be bettered is by the almost unimaginable achievement of "Half a Gnat's Cock hair" .............

CC ;)

I didn't know Gnats kept poultry. ;)

Back