• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

wtb rotary table

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolroom

Reaction score
I have been seeking a [decent] quality 6" rotary table for my smaller mill. The Chinese ones seem really really cheap, not only in price but quality. Wholesale tools has one that is (supposed) to have hard and ground gears, but it is made in...INDIA!
Does anyone have a used decent quality rotary table that you do not use and would be willing to part with?
Looking for something low and with 4 slots and a 2 Morse taper center. Two locks would be appreciated too.
Thanks for your time , and I can be pm'd
toolroom

As long as you can dial out any backlash (most RT's have that adjustment) , I personally wouldn't worry about hardened gears.
In normal use, I doubt if ever you will wear one out.
My Vertex 6" has been with me now nearly 30 years, and it still works like new despite being modified to NC control.

John

You could buy worm and wheel from SPDI and DIY your own RT. Being at the far end of the supply I DIY my own because of the high landed cost. Gears from SPDI were good and with good fitting and close mesh, my RT had very minimum backlash.Took a bit more rework to get the required results. Profile milling big end and small end of con-rods with no backlash or chatter.

I bought Grizzly's H7527 6 inch rotary table several years ago with all the features you mention. In addition it comes with both vernier and index plates, tailstock and hold down set.
I am very satisfied with the quality. Back then it was just under $300.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

I have a 12, 6 and 4 inch Vertex brand RT. All are H-V type. These were made in Taiwan.Quality is very good.

Wow, Thanks for all the input, especially about not wearing it out! I really appreciate the input, so thanks everyone for pointing my nose in the proper direction... And, Happy New Year too!
toolroom

I grew up taught to always turn the table one direction and you don't have to worry about backlash but if you absolutely have to turn back then be generous and overshoot your target and dial in the appropriate setting.

I have had my share of issues with rotary tables.. Got one together with my machines when I bought them, unknown origin, 160mm, looks crappy, but felt ok. After some use I discovered it was totally unserviceable. Nothing was turning true in any direction. Had to be discarded. Got another small one from India. Same story. Last week I got a 6” Soba from Cronos. A bit large for my mill, but it is much better. I have checked it on the stone and it turns flat. It has a 0.02mm runout in the center. Needs to be adjusted really tight to take up the little slack around the turning axe. The chuck that came with it has about 0.05mm runout.
I’m happy with it. Taking the price into consideration, this is a good tool.

Rudy

2018-02-27 21.46.57.jpg

2018-03-03 13.45.55.jpg

Latest posts

Back