Wow!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
I've been fascinated by the USS Monitor for many years and just found this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk[/ame]

Even sounds great!

Vic.

If I'm ever going to be that good, I need to get started 40 years ago.

I just finished reading a pretty good book about Lincoln, Chase and Seward called Team of Rivals. In it there is a pretty good account of the effects the Monitor and the Merrimack had on the Civil War. Not much about the engines per se however.

This video gave me an idea: Most of us mount our model steam engines on a block of wood with some routed edges and varnish and call it done. I like his representation of the ship's hull and framework. If you didn't know it was supposed to reflect the ship's hull, you could view it as purely an artistic way to show off the engine which is what I thought it was until I thought about it a little more.

A fancy frame around a painting can greatly enhance the painting itself. I'm inspired to think up new and different ways to mount my model engines, maybe add some panache. Use the right half of the brain, give a rest to the left half. At the rate I'm finishing these engines, I certainly have plenty of time to plan the mounting method. ;D

-Trout

Thanks for the link Kenny, I'll have a read when I get a moment.

Vic.

Back