Would this fly wheel work on Elmer's Fancy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A demented project, please tell us more.

sounds like your down with danger, I beleive that your flywheel would work just fine.

Kel

kcmillin said:
A demented project, please tell us more.

sounds like your down with danger, I beleive that your flywheel would work just fine.

Kel

A few nights back me and the head of engineering, my bassett hound, were sitting on the porch. I was smoking a fine cigar and had polished off a bottle of Bushmills when my bassett said, "Hey! Why don't you build an engine in that empty whiskey bottle?" I of course said it would be to difficult, when the dog countered with, "They build entire ships in bottles. This is just an engine a very small part of an entire ship". Well who can argue with that kind of logic? So my plan was hatched, and other than the fact that the fly wheel, a rather insignificant part, won't fit down the opening we are ready to proceed. Here is my detailed plans, they are somewhat technical so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.... The idea must be good a drunk with a talking dog thought them up. :D

bushy.jpg

kvom said:
I'd bet a .75" flywheel would work just as well.

That is my thoughts as well. Use a .75 dia wheel with maybe just a bit extra thickness. I think the smaller diameter wheel would still look in porportion with the engine.

I think you should get a smaller bottle ;D (less tall)

Noitoen said:
I think you should get a smaller bottle ;D (less tall)

I agree. The visual impact of an engine in a bottle will be more forceful if the engine occupies much of the internal volume of the bottle. On a practical note, having the engine closer to the bottle opening will make construction and servicing easier.

A split flywheel with two halves that bolt together around the crank inside the bottle is a possibility.

Back