Work holding fixtures

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Frequently we as model builders struggle to know how to hold basic parts. here are a couple of jigs or drawing of jigs that folks may find helpful. the first one is for cylinder heads with a gland or boss, also for drilling crank disks with a shaft mounted. this jig hodls onto the shaft or boss.

Holdingblock.jpg

The second one is used for cylinder heads and other round things with or without a boss or shaft. It holds the outer rim.

holdingblock2.jpg

I can make drawings with my dimensions if folks want them. For now a couple of 3D sketches.
I made mine out of cherry . aluminum or plastic would work these will get dill holes in them over time and eventually need replacement. so use what is available and cheap to replace.
The last small hole at the end is just stress relief to prevent slitting. make dimensions as needed.
Tin

5 days on the board well over 200 looks and no comments I guess I left you speechless once again .
The inspiration for these jigs comes from simple model steam engines Book 2 by Tubal Cain.I am guessing the experienced folks take such simple jigs for granted and the newbies have no clue what they are for. I will try to get some in use photos up maybe this weekend in the mean time questions and comments are welcome.
And like I said I can do drawings if folks want them.the first and simpe one is from the book the second one an adaptation.
Tin

Heh, that is neat. I missed it the first time around.

If you etch the distance from the edge to the center of each hole on the tool, it will make it easy to remember how to index it in.

Technically these are fixtures since they just hold the part and do not guide the tool like a jig would. Or did I miss something?

Tubal Cain has a book?!? hehehe I had to do that.

This slipped past me till now. Another useful tool from the Tin Falcon.
Alan

Technically these are fixtures since they just hold the part and do not guide the tool like a jig would. Or did I miss something?
OK fixtures then

Fixtures, being used in machine shop, are strong and rigid mechanical
devices which enable easy, quick and consistently accurate locating,
supporting and clamping, blanks against cutting tool(s) and result faster and
accurate machining with consistent quality, functional ability and
interchangeability.
Jig is a fixture with an additional feature of tool guidance.

From this link :
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/Webcourse-contents/IIT%20Kharagpur/Manuf%20Proc%20II/pdf/LM-33.pdf
I sit corrected
Tin ;D

::)jigs, fixtures, blah, blah, blah. ;D Love the tips, keep 'em coming. & the models. Solidworks?

Nice work. Been following some threads here on Alibre.
Need something to use at home. I'm using Pro-Engineer for now. But it will expire soon.

I have a set of jigs similar to the drawings except they are in the form of soft jaws for my milling vice.

Another way would be to used dowel pins or alinment pins and have two pieces.
Tin

Mine was from S LaRose (sadly, out of business now), but here's a similar one:

Sorry to hear that I have had one of there catalogs on my shelf for 20 plus years . Visited there showroom once and bought my jewelers saw from them. Looks like clock kit took over ther business or at least picked up the www.slarose.com/ domain name. .
Perry I linked the pic hope yu do not mind.

Tin

Latest posts

Back