Why is painting so hard?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pictures don't show it well, but the string is a good 1" or more off the surface of the plate, and just a tiny angle variation got good coverage in there with the gun.

Antman - how resistant are acrylics to oils, gasoline, and such? I went with what I knew best, which is enamel, and the same brand of enamel worked nicely on another part of this project.

Most of the modern industrial acrylics seem impervious to most things - even paint stripper - it can be a mission to remove all the paint from your equipment (at least the acrylics I've used).

For that reason I generally don't use them - when I do, I need to clean the gun as soon as I'm finished spraying - like right away - even waiting between coats leaves layers that can be a sod to remove.

I'd like to hear from anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Ken

For my tractor, I use acrylic enamel paint (Kubota brand). I paint the bucket with it and it stands up to digging holes, lifting rocks a lot better than you would expect paint to. It's tough stuff. I do clean the spayer between coats but I have that down to a science. To reduce the paint, I use Klean-Strip Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner, purchased at Home Depot or Lowes (9 bucks). It can be used in place of MEK, toluene, xylene or VM&P Naptha. It works well.

-T

Latest posts

Back