WHY DOES SITE USE ALL MY CPU?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmad

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi guys
I hate computers and they hate me but everytime I click on this site my CPU usage goes through the roof.Why is it so?
if I click on Madmodder for instance I have only a few percent usage but here its up around 70%, 80% or more.
my question is has this Site been hacked by Internet Bots? or does my computer really hate me ?
Pete

Wow, what have you done to your computer to hate you so much...? ???

Just looked at the CPU usage on mine and it's sitting about 1% or 2% at the most, even when loading in pages full of photos on here.

Sounds like you may have some spyware running, does your anti-virus scan for spyware..? Run a scan...

Dave

Pete,

Try cleaning out your internet cache. Also your Sow's Ear post takes a long time to load so there is something in it, (probably images/video), biting up a hunk of memory and band width.

You could also look at how windows is configured i.e. for best graphics or for best performance and perhaps increase your virtual memory if you don't have much RAM installed, (<500MB).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Dave
I don't know much about computers mate or machining either for that matter,but it seems strange that just on the home page (nothing open )my usage is going crazy.
As I said I tried other similar sites like madmodder and no problem, is it possable for spyware on my computer to be linked to a site?
I'm running "microsoft security essentials" full scan right now with about 100% CPU usage
Pete

Hi Bob
I will do what you say and also perhaps add memory
but do I understand you correctly, in that the "Sows ear" post loads slower then another comparable post?
there are no videos in it yet so I'm a little bit confused here
Pete ???

metalmad said:
but do I understand you correctly, in that the "Sows ear" post loads slower then another comparable post?

Pete ???

Yes Pete that's exactly what my computer shows when I bring up multiple posts at one time such as when going through my unread posts. Sows Ear takes visible seconds more than other seemingly similar or larger posts to load.

Best Regards
Bob

It also depends on other factors like:

What computer do you have?
CPU speed, amount of RAM?

How much space do you have left on your hard drive?

Internet connection type and speed?
Dial up or DSL
Are you connected directly to the internet or using wi-fi?

I know that my Mac connects way faster than my Windows pc.
It is the fastest computer in the house and never lets me down.

If you can supply the specs of your computer it would make things a bit easier.
For example:
My Mac:
Dual 2.66 Ghz Xeon processors (5.32 Ghz in total)
13 GB RAM

1.5 TB hard drive with 1 Tb free space.

1 .0 Gbps internet connection, direct from high speed router.
Also has wi-fi capabilities that work at the same speed.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
its a pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 1.25 gig of ram
on a broadband connection
but I fail to see why that would have anything to do with how fast my post opens
Pete

Youtube videos in threads seem to crank my CPU up. I suspect they're background-loading or otherwise snorking up my cycles.

I'm betting it's the anti virus software checking things out. Make sure you're up to date.

metalmad said:
Hi Andrew
its a pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 1.25 gig of ram
on a broadband connection
but I fail to see why that would have anything to do with how fast my post opens
Pete

Older computers are inherently slower than the newer faster computers.
As we progress older technology falls behind as the internet demands faster machines to handle the amount of data we recieve and transmit with every click.

As you fill up your hard drive you loose virtual memory which in turn causes websites to open and load slower.
Evrything is inter connected and you need all the info to figure things out.

I would also be inclined to download malwarebytes and run the scan to see what it comes up with.

Another useful bit of info is the task manager. Have a look in there and see what programs are eating up your memory when the system is idle.
Control, Alt,delete opens it up.
See if they are programs you use often or if something suspicious is working away there.

Andrew

Yes, Task Manager is your friend. First click the applications tab and shut down any programs that are running, one by one, clicking the performance tab each time to see if the CPU usage slows. If none of those programs are causing the problem, click on the services tab and shut those down one by one, checking CPU performance each time. When you find the one that is hogging CPU bandwidth, note the name of it, restart the computer (you probably have shut down some services needed for normal operation) and hit the Internet with a search on that name and learn about what it does and how to control it.

There is a small program that you can run that will show all of the stuff that is running on your system. Often this will point out an offending program.

It is called HijackThis. A copy is attached just download and click on the icon to run the program. When you get it running just click on scan. At the most your list of stuff running on the machine should not be more than about 5 or 6 items. If you have a big list, and I have seen some machines with as many as 100, then you have a big problem with shareware, malware, and virus programs. Their names will be in the list and the program will let you click on items and tell you what they are. You can then delete them and restart your computer.

I am a retired Systems Supervisor, and this program IS NOT any kind of spyware, and it really can be a life saver.

George

View attachment HijackThis.exe

Hi guys
i ran that program and there were 23 things but who knows what they are
I did delete 4 obsolete printer files but I doubt that will do anything much
Pete

Try minimizing the Shout Box. My system goes from 5% to 57% when it is open and running. Appears to be a CPU hog.

Heh. Must be a Windows thing...

On my Linux workstation Top says Firefox is only using 7% of my CPU and 6.5% of my memory. And that is the biggest process running.

Bob (Maryak): Your load time for a given thead will be affected by the amount of data a page needs to load. If there is a YouTube link, that adds the amount of bytes a page uses. If a thread has a lot of photos, there again, that page needs to load all of that information too...

OP: Have you tested to see if another web browser behaves better than what you are using? Some, ok, all browsers suck, just some suck less.

black85vette said:
Try minimizing the Shout Box. My system goes from 5% to 57% when it is open and running. Appears to be a CPU hog.
problem solved ;D when i minimized the shout box it went to almost zero
Thanks guys

Pete, Thanks for posting this issue. I was having the same problem "....all my CPU", and I have 2 GB of RAM!

I ran "HijackThis" and it reported 108 routines running in the background. Like you, this Revelation only confused me more.

Then I followed black85vette suggestion and minimized the Shout Box. Now I am at 2%. Thank you black85vette!!!

Yes, that shout box is a Java app. Some browsers and systems have a really poor implementation of Java stuffs.

I just sent some Kama your way "Black85vette"
cos it seems like Im not the only one with the same problem :)
Pete

Latest posts

Back