whole lot of shaking going on

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mklotz

Reaction score
So, I'm sitting at my desk and the desk lamp starts moving on its own. (No, I haven't been into the martinis yet.) Then my desk chair starts moving on its own. Then the windows rattle a little bit.

Yes, folks, it's another earthquake. This time, a Richter 5.9 south of Palm Springs.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/FaultMaps/117-33.html

That fault has been very active for a while now.

We're still waiting for the big one. :)

mklotz said:
We're still waiting for the big one. :)

Let's hope you have to wait a long long time.

Best Regards
Bob

Marv
I would be a nervous wreck but then we has twisters and blizzards to contend with here.
Take care Marv!

Fires, earthquakes, mudslides...

Are you sure you don't miss PA Marv?

Blizzards are nothing...
Dust devils (they like to call them tornadoes here) are nothing...

Wait...I have to go one store for food, one for beer, and one for wine?

You got an extra room Marv?

As long as faults are active, its a good thing, yes? Its those that lie silent for 100 years at a time then cut loose ya gotta watch out for. I used to think earthquakes were fun growing up in San Fran. Still do, kinda....

I'll take CA quakes over tornadoes, hurricanes, and oil spills any day. :)

-T

I'm with Trout. I'm smack in the middle of Tornado Alley. I'll take an earthquake... Or a PA beer store, over Twisters any day.

Heh, you think PA is goofy about beer/wine. OK is really goofy.

So, I'm sitting at my desk and the desk lamp starts moving on its own. (No, I haven't been into the martinis yet.) Then my desk chair starts moving on its own. Then the windows rattle a little bit.

Sounds a bit like my house when Mrs Tel is only mildly irritated.

The last 30 quakes in NZ. Oh! and that's only since the end of May this year.

recentQuakes.png

Fortunately the biggest one was only a 4.0

And the last 10 years

Shallow_Seismicity_sml.png

We're waiting for the big one too. The fault line is less than 1km from the house.

More info here

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/

At least we don't have any snakes and only one dodgy spider.

Pete

Think I druther the snakes some'ow.

I have never experienced an earthquake.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stand through one because I'd
be slipping in stuff that wasn't on the floor before. :D

Be safe out there guys!

Rick

I've only been in small ones. Imagine standing on a railway platform and an express train going through at 600mph. It's a horizontal motion, how long it goes on depends how long the train is. Thats about the best analogy I can think of.

I would imagine that if its above say a 6.0 you are getting closer to the tracks until the point you are stood between the rails. Then you know you are in trouble.

Pete

I owned property in Arizona for years waiting for you people (Californians) to move off shore so that I would have beach front property. There were a couple of fairly strong shakes while I was there.

Latest posts

Back