Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tonight's a bust

This is why we wear Safety Glasses

IMG_0547.jpg

Nothing hit me but you never know. I was separating the upper crankcase from the lower.....almost done.....bang.
Thanks for McMaster Carr I got my order in before 7PM and I should have 2 saws for tomorrow. This way the weekend wont be a bust. I don't want to break down the set up in the mill. So tonight will be the sci channel or the history channel and a couple of cold ones!

I had a machinist at work a few jobs back tell me to use Alcohol (not the drinking kind) when cutting Alu. He said it works better than oil. Anybody agree?

Tony

The best thing I have found so far is wd-40 and kerosene, about a 75/25 ratio.
An old friend told me to try it and it works well.
If I am not cutting too deep I just use wd-40, and I can handle the smell better.
-B-

Excellent lesson Tony. That should help convince people to wear safety glasses.
Sorry it happened but glad you'll have what you need for the weekend.

Thanks for posting.

Hi Tony

I have used alcohol for lube on aluminum in the past and it has worked OK; I don't like it nearly as well as a high quality cutting oil. Cool Tool is my favorite. WD40 works great on cast aluminum; it is probably the best lube I have found. I have machined hundreds of air cooled VW heads over the years and always use wd40 on them.

One other problem with alcohol is that it has some water in it. It will get between your vise and table and cause rust.

The little saws can load up really quick as you found out. you need to keep constant lube on it and a jet of air to keep the teeth cleaned out. I have a Trico Micro Drop system on my mill that works great for this kind of thing.

Best Regards
Dave

WoW! Ton', I'm glad you re OK other than than the WTF surprise factor :eek:. I was told to use WD40 and a bit of Kerosene as well, although I usually just use WD40 with excellent results.

BC1
Jim

Zee, Dave, Jim
Thanks for the concern and the info. I was using 3 in 1 as my all around lube but noticed that the alum chips where "gummy" and stuck to the machines. They are hard to blow off and stick to everything. I think that I'm machining so much that I need a blow and mist attach! And a power draw bar isn't far away too. Where the heck is Santa when you need him Rof}
Tony

Hi Gang,
I'm going to stop using "Hi guys" now that I know we have a lady with us! (Hi Steph) Well I found out by looking at the McMaster site that I wasn't going to ship till tomorrow :shrug:. (it said ship today for the longest time) which meant a Mon. Del. I couldn't take the wait....so...I put the baby on the horiz band saw..... and hopfully it followed the previous cut....and it did :idea: Then to the fly cutter to bring to size. Wa La

IMG_0552.jpg

I'm back in biz
Tony

Then I'll take back my 'gladness'...
I'll issue a 'glad you're back in biz'.
If you have any luck to spare....please? please?

Enjoying the thread. Great stuff.

Zee,
Do you really want my luck?
I used to be a pro pilot in the 80's Certified flight instructor and instrument instructor. First officer in a Falcon 20.One Day with a student (Marine Maj.Helo guy for transition) lost an engine at 200 ft.Went through the tree's at 90 miles an hour, plastic eye socket, nuts and bolts in hand and foot. 500k law suit settlement. Lost it all with Enron and 911. Now looking at Bankruptcy and hangling on tooth and nail.
Feel Lucky Punk! (Dirty Harry)
Tony

Ouch. Okay, none to spare. I hope that bit of machining luck grows quickly for you.

Tony, I use Tap Magic for aluminum when I'm cutting or tapping it. Another thing to take note of is the way you are cutting with the circular saw. I always conventional cut when I'm doing that type of operation. That way it seems to pull the chips out rather than packing them into the cut. It also lessens the chance of the tool grabbing the stock. Maybe you do it that way but it was just a suggestion. They do make some small slitting saws that have relief on the teeth but they are really pricey.
gbritnell

Thanks Zee and George
I was doing a conventional cut at the time. I'll have to get some Tap Magic
Tony

OK getting Back to the Future!
My friendly delivery co. didn't deliver till today got a little bit done. I went to look for the camera and it went walk about.
Went to my desk where it normally hangs out....not there. Oh I left it on the kitchen counter.....not there....It's in the shop....not there.......Went through the house about ten times......low and behold....hidding behind the tool box on the surface plate *club*
About a foot from where I set up the pic
IMG_0568.jpg

That's all folks
Tomorrow
Tony

Great now you have two to work on, you can get the one patched and set it up a little different.
Sort of like a friend of mine has a 69' Camaro with a completely stock 350 engine and on a stand behind it there is a supercharged 350 with all of the bells and whistles that he swaps out every now and then.
just a thought
-B-

Well a little to show for tonight's effort. Got the fillets looking a lot better. I did the tool path math and the just drove the DRO

IMG_0571.jpg

I measured up the old one and the .900 dim at the bottom of the case was .75. So off to my computer and AutoCad and draw up the geometry. Turns out the 17.5 deg dim (the way I made the old one) should be 14 deg

IMG_0572.jpg

I know the left side is not done yet and the right side looks sq. It's just the pic. Side angles down to meet the end of the radius on the left side just don't want to make this case over again when the conn rods start hitting the sides!

Tony

Nice work Tony..... :bow:I don't have that kind of patience on the Mill that you have...Looks fantastic!

Dave

steamer,
My mother told me I should be a doctor.....because I have a lot of patience...... :big:
Tony

Well Gang Tonight's Fun,

Side Two Tapered, Got that blending the Radius to Flat pretty good now
IMG_0577.jpg

C'Bore for breather, I opened up the c'bore to accept a 1/4" nut driver
IMG_0581.jpg

First fin cut
IMG_0582.jpg

Fin cuts complete, tomorrow.....the front outside taper and radius
IMG_0583.jpg

Then off to hoggin out the inside :hDe:
I'm going to stay with a 1/8R bit all around till something says different

George B the Tap Magic works great. Love the smell, it smells like peppermint or something can't put my finger on it thanks for the advise

Tony

Hi Tony, you're welcome. I don't know if it's the best stuff but I've always had good luck with it. Your engine is coming along great. I know it's a bummer to have to remake a part but isn't it amazing how quickly the second one goes. You remember all the steps and setups and, at least for me, it seems so much easier.
gbritnell

The photo with the pliers put this project back into perspective for me :bow:
Nicely done!

Latest posts

Back