Whittle Aero V8 WIP

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jthulin
Yeah I know. I can't believe this is going to be an 8 cyl eng. When I'm holding the parts I say to myself...... self.....you must be crazy :big:

Thanks George I'm trying

Tony

Oh dear Lord, Yes! No wonder you were not wanting to have a welder fill that hole up! Gees! I thought the part was quite a bit larger than that, wow, I'm in awe. :Doh:

BC1
Jim

BC1,
she is a small little girl, I should have bought a watch makers lathe for this one :big:

A little progress tonight

IMG_0590.jpg

It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and Sun so it looks like I'll be stuck in the shop all day Sat and Sun wooh is me Rof}

I'll be hogin out the inside and hopefully no.... :redface2: this time

Till tomorrow my friends

Tony

I know I said this before, Tony, but... That sure is a pretty oil pan, (again ;))

Keep up the good work. We're all pullin' for ya!

Dean

very nice parts

i'd love to see the progress

tony - i have the same plan and would like to build it next year (because don't find any V8 or V10 / 12 with 4 valve head and DOHC) - may i write you PM because some passages i don't understand in the plan ...

Frank

Just posted a pic in the plans from castings , PMresearch thread of my V8 sofar (12 years old). Geoff from Tas

Deanofid, jimmybondi, steamer,

How rude am I? Thanks guys for your continued suport. I've been out of the shop awhile now (had to do play house things). But I'm dying to get back to it! Tonight I'm going on a tour of the local power plant with my metal working club...so....tomorrow it will start again!

Tony

Hi All,
Well after doing the play house thing my right knee went on the fritz. It was scoped about 4 years ago for a torn meniscus (I'm sure I didn't spell that right). Played a lot of football in my younger day. But I back. Didn't do to much today except clean and oil the machines and a little setup.
This will be my 3rd oil pan. The angle of the front and rear cut is killing me. I took an angle measure off the print and it seamed to come up around 15 deg. NOT. So before I waste more time and have another break out I will do another No. 3. At this rate I'll be 200 years old before I finish :big:

I went to the yahoo site for this engine and there is a pic of the mag cover of EW's engine and it looks almost square. Soooo I will cut the angle to 3 deg. and play it safe.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhittleV8/

Here is what I did tonight (after watching the tree lighting ceremony at Rock Center with the wifee)

IMG_0603.jpg

Swept up a bit.....can't believe that much swarf from the little parts (by the way, what dose swarf stand for?)

IMG_0605.jpg

The set up......Again

IMG_0609.jpg

To much angle again this was the second attempt

Well, that's it, tomorrow it begins again!

Tony

Glad you're back at it, Tony. I love this build!

Dean

Dean,
Thanks, I'm a persistant SOB. I'm not giving up on this engine, I like it to much.

Tony

Hey Tony,

You might want to lay that part out ( draw it out) to confirm the angle if the drawing is not accurate.....I feel for ya.

You know for spending as many years playing with machine tools ...use and design, you'd think I would have heard of the definition of swarf....Knowing as many Norwegian machinists that I did, no one has ever offered a definition....it's always just "been"....Thanks for that Peter!

Dave

Peter,
Thanks for that also.....I sometimes never think of googling things. You get an at-a-boy for that!
Steamer, thanks, I will draw it out, I don't want to do a 4th :big:
Tony

Tony, not sure how I missed this but hats off to you. It's a very impressive project. :bow:

Nick

Thanks Nick,
Don't know if I'm experienced enough. I'm giving it my best try!

first, many compliments Tony :bow: :bow: :bow:
you're doing a great job here

but please, may you explain why that angle is so important?
because if you made that part for the 3rd time, it must be critical
in my ignorance, it seems to me only an aesthetic affair, that doesn't influence the functionality of the part

what am I missing?

Ariz,
If you look back some posts you'll see that when I cut out the inside I broke a hole in the bottom. The second one I had the great idea of using my DRO and touched off on the hi zeroed and low spots and adjusted the angle till I got the .125 dim,. Perfect right......wrong.
This one I'm cutting the angle way down (3 deg was ~10 I forget) because you are right it is just an aesthetic thing.

Thanks for the kind words

Tony

Hi All,
I got another night in the shop. Came upstairs to post some pics and was going to go back. Then I had to put my 2cents worth into the PoM contraversy and that ate up alot of time. But.... I picked up a few things from McMaster. A spill proof cup for lube and the non-wiggler wiggler. Cup $3.00 electronic wiggler $27.00. I'm likin the wiggler...

Thanks kvom.

No Captions tonight. I'm sure it will all make sense

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Here I touch off on Z and zeroed the DRO (not you zee :big:)

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Tony

Third times a charm. I'm sure of that!

Press on, Tony!

Dean

Back