Whick 4-Jaw Should I get?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a 4 jaw independent chuck for my Sherline lathe and I am looking at 4 jaw from sherline
1030pic.jpg

and the 4 jaw from little machine shop
480.1175.jpg

I think it may be better to go with the little machine shop because I can turn the adapter plate and get a little bit more accuracy from the chuck. I am new so not sure about what to do, also do you have any other suggestions on a 3" 4 jaw chuck.

I think you will get responses in favor of one or the other; but in being a four jaw independent, the accuracy, as in runout, doesn't matter as it would in a three jaw. The backing plate registration surface being perpendicular to the jaw gripping surface does. You can always correct that if necessary though.

One way that I thought about trying on a small four jaw of mine is to make up a "mandrel" that runs between centers and will fit entirely through the chuck and backplate. Then you could clamp the jaws on the mandrel, indicate the chuck body concentric, and face the backplate true. The register should then be square to the jaws with minimal runout of the chuck body.

Just a few thoughts.

Kevin

I have the sherline 4 jaw chuck mounted on a 5-c collet adaptor and I like it, the jaws are small enough to hold small stuff.
The jaws on the little machine shop 4 jaw chuck look a little to big (just my opinion) to hold smaller stuff.
good luck in your decision.
Dave

I'd go with the Sherline. The small jaws will come in handy and it will be plenty accurate enough, and if the other Sherline stuff I have is any indication, very well made..

Looking at the jaws of the two:

With the Sherline you don't have to reverse the jaws to clamp internally on the round, whereas the LMS jaws would clamp internally with the corners or each jaw. OTOH, with the jaws reversed the LMS jaws would allow you to clamp a larger piece (of course the swing of your lathe would determine how useful that would be).

There was an extensive testing (and report) of the Sherline chucks done by a guy on the Yahoo Sherline forum. Poke around there.

If I run across it, I'll post the link.

Mike

Thanks guys I think I am going to go with the Sherline. I am preparing to move again so no more machine time, but it going to get ordered soon.

Latest posts

Back