Which rotary table for the X2 Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelmaster

Reaction score
I have been trying to select an appropriate sized rotary table for my X2 mill, as well as deciding which rotary table brand to buy.

On Friday I inspected the Vertex brand rotary table and was quite impressed with the quality. It was fairly clear that the 6" would be too big for the X2.

However the 4" seems to lack proper hold down or mounting facilities, just a couple of very shallow grooves that none of my standard mill clamps would work on.

So, my question is twofold:

1 Which rotary table, manufacturer and size, do you use on your X2 mill

2 How do you mount it or hold it down on the X2 table?

I have a 4" Grizzly for my x2 mill. It is a horizontal/vertical model and came with a set of dividing plates. The finish isn't the greatest, and it is certainly not a Vertex, but with a little TLC it came out alright. A good tear down, cleaning, and a good dose of white lithium grease did it up just fine. ;D The good thing about the 4" is you can make a larger plate and turn it into a 6" rotab...the 6" can't become anything smaller. I have a 4" 4 jaw chuck that bolts right up and handles anything I have needed to do so far. As for mounting it to the table I just use a regular set of step blocks and studs to clamp it in either position.

The Vertex would be a good choice. Making a set of clamps for it shouldn't cause you any pain.

Hi

I have the 4 inch Vertex and can't fault it. One of the main reasons the Vertex was my choice is because it has a 2 MT in the centre. With an adapter fitted in the 2 MT I can screw the chuck complete with workpiece off the Myford lathe and screw straight on to the RT in the mill and then swap back again. It will of course take 2 MT collets. I bought a set of indexing plates to go with it but haven't used them yet.

Cheers

Rich

Yes, the 4" Vertex certainly seemed like a nice unit, and the Mt2 centre is one of the reasons that I like it as I would like to use my MT2 ER25 collet chuck in it to support a pen mandrel to do some special milling on the pens I make. It also has a tailstock available and the dividing plates.

Only thing that concerns me is those very shallow mounting slots, my standard clamps or the mill won't fit in to those, hence my question above.

Latest posts

Back