Which milling cutter for V groove??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miker

Reaction score
I recently purchased a RF 45 copy and stocked up on End Mills, Slot drills. and Ball Nose endmills from CTC.

My question. Is their a cutter that will cut a V groove with a Vertical Mill?

I have done this with a Horizontal Mill at college with no problem.

Would the cutter for a Vertical Mill look something like a Countersink? I can't see one in the catalogues or
on CTC's site.

Rgds

Michael

Michael,

To answer your question, yes you can get angled tipped milling cutters. I have a few in my arsenal.

Usually, at least on the ones I have, they don't go down to a sharp point, but end in a hole like in the end of an end mill. So really, when doing a 'V' groove, you normally put a small slot along the bottom of the cut to allow what is sitting in the slot to sit nicely against the 'V' sides.

The C-o-C should explain what I was on about.

Blogs

Posted at the same time as Tin's. His show them going to a point.

v cutter.jpg

Ahh... I thought that little flat relief was milled as a second operation
with an ordinary endmill.

Many thanks for the replies and C o C :)

I find that a double-angle cutter (probably the same type you used on a horizontal milling machine) mounted on an appropriate arbor is the best solution for milling an angled-sided slot. The center of the V-tipped end mills is highly inefficient at removing material as it has a nearly zero SFM rate.

For 90° grooves, use a regular end mill with the workpiece at 45° or the head tilted to 45°.

Stan said:
For 90° grooves, use a regular end mill with the workpiece at 45° or the head tilted to 45°.
That works just fine for a single V groove BUT when you want two Vs separated by
an exact amount it gets VERY tricky. Sure it can be done and I have done it but as
I just said it is DIFFICULT! So I just got two, one a carbide, V cutters from ENCO
and they work a dream. I used the HSS one in Aluminum and the carbide one in steel
for a sliding fixture I just made a few weeks ago.
...lew...

Lew_Merrick_PE said:
I find that a double-angle cutter (probably the same type you used on a horizontal milling machine) mounted on an appropriate arbor is the best solution for milling an angled-sided slot. The center of the V-tipped end mills is highly inefficient at removing material as it has a nearly zero SFM rate.
To phrase this another way, a friend of mine said "You can't spin a V-cutter fast enough".

Latest posts

Back