which engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack1340

Reaction score
I was planning a jet engine for my boat and I am a beginner to any kind of jet engines...

I was wondering what kind to build myself, I have limited tools and a tight budget

You could try a pulse jet. There are plenty of free plans on the internet.. but hey the locals may object to the noise!

The noise isn't really a issue but the reed valves look awkward to make.... How hard are jet turbines to make and what's the best plan for a beginner

If you reckon the reed valve is hard to make, then you are in for a whole new learning curve if you want to attempt a gas turbine.

There is a free plan download on john-tom. Have a look at http://www.john-tom.com/html/Jet.html#JetTurbinePlans
It may not be the best design around, but at least it will give you an idea of what is involved.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

A real gas turbine is NOT easy to build. Better try a valveless pulse-jet.You need to rolling sheetmetal & welding.
They are very easy to build.
I build several pulse-jets from Eric Becks & they are great. He have also some free plans.

A real gas turbine is NOT easy to build. Better try a valveless pulse-jet.You need to rolling sheetmetal & welding.
They are very easy to build.
I build several pulse-jets from Eric Becks & they are great. He have also some free plans.

Don't you need a air compressor to start a valveless pulse jet

Back