Where'd that step come from?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklopp

Reaction score
I was making a set of piston ring compressors last night by boring round slugs to just under cylinder sizes, and then boring a long 6-degree taper. On the first one, as I approached the right taper length, I felt a step just where the taper feathered out into the original straight section. I thought, "Gee, I must've bumped the cross-slide handle right there at the end." I took another finish cut, and there was still a step. What the he**??? I pulled the slug and went onto the next one, figuring I must have made a deep step when I bumped whatever the first time, and I'd go back and try to salvage this one after finished the others. As I was getting ready to bore the next slug, I went to pull some stringy chips off the boring bar --- and it moved!! I HAD FORGOTTEN TO LOCK THE TOOLPOST! ::)

rklopp said:
I HAD FORGOTTEN TO LOCK THE TOOLPOST! ::)

I've done that several times.
Luckily all at unimportant times, usually when I'm taking my first facing cuts

rklopp said:
I HAD FORGOTTEN TO LOCK THE TOOLPOST! ::)

Who hasn't done it at least once. ??? :mad: ??? :mad:

Me.......I'm a slow learner so don't ask. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Hand on heart - I've done this or NOT done this several times - but I am learning as it's happens a lot less now. Thankfully.
Cheers,
Brian

yep, I join the club. 8)

And since we are in confession mode, I broke the vase. :hDe:

Darn, you mean that handle on the thing needs to be locked? I just thought it was my poor ability on the lathe!

JimN

Back