Where to find vintage boiler download

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

I took a quick search through the downloads and found a 3 inch vertical boiler drawing and 6 sheets for a visio -Scotch marine boiler. There is also a .pdf of design calculations for a 3 inch vertical boiler. You probably found this information as well.

What sort of boiler are you thinking of? I've got drawings for a 5 inch vertical boiler and for an 8 inch vertical claimed to be suitable for a 2" x 2" single cylinder engine. The drawings are from Model & Allied Publications LTD.

Regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
I was unable to find that download but I think it may be the same plan I saw during a google search. I would like to see yours.
I don't know what I need as this is the first I've strayed away from internal combustion. I've bought a horizontal engine on eBay and haven't received it yet and I'm unsure of its displacement. (Are steam engines described by displacement?)
This project is all about educating myself so I think I need a boiler that will simply have enough capacity to run the engine for 15 minutes or so at a time, be safe, and not too costly.
John

Chuck,
Many thanks for your help. I built a boiler and had success of a first-timer. I'm quite pleased and wish I could build a big engine of about two inch bore.
Some videos are attached. Don't look too closely. The book you provided was a great education. Next time I would forego the inexpensive oiler and throttle for my own designs.
John

You are welcome John and well done. Congratulations. Your boiler looks nice and does a fine job steaming your Stuart S-50. I like the low speed video the best. How slow will it continue to run?

Also, I see a Flathead Ford engine in the background.

Regards,

Chuck

Chuck it will run slow until the boiler is empty. I’ll check rpm when I run it next. Should there be a regulator on the propane supply? It seems that the fuel flow is extremely inconsistent. I suppose the problem could be the horizontal position of the tank.
Yes, the flathead is the next project. It’s a 1934 221ci and not stuck

Back