Where to buy tools

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winwallwood11

Reaction score
My son is attending Mass. Maritime this year and we have to buy a 6" Vernier Calipers and 1" Micrometer. I am wondering what brands are best and what these thing are. I saw online the price ranges drastically so I want to get the best for my money as the school is not cheep. My husband is overseas with the Navy fighting in the war so I have no one to really ask and I don't want my kid to look bad. Can any of you point me in the right direction. Many thanks:)

Well mom this is an unusual one for a first post. we are a hobby machinist community but we can certainly help. I moved this post here so it would get better /proper attention.
6" vernier calipers are all but obsolete and hens teeth. check with the instructor and see if you really need verniers .
my suggestion is get a decent name brand of dial calipers on the used market.
digital are nice but the good ones are more expensive and you need batteries.
One inch micrometers the same thing good used. and get one that reads ten thousandths.

Three brands to look for: Starrett my favorite, Brown and Sharp. or Mitutoyo.
if you want new: Fowler or pec good but not top brands more value priced.

this is a dial caliper on sale for $29.95 new
6372207-11.jpg

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=890-9373&PMPXNO=4617819&PARTPG=INLMK32

0640081A-11.jpg

$29.54 for the Mics
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=16720828&PMAKA=619-3106

I am a USAF trained machinist and own use a varity of brands and price points of these tools . I have not used fowler much but believe them to be good bang for the buck.

Enco normally has a free shipping promo code to save you shipping cost . I can not find the September one maybe someone can post it for you.

So here is an option for you $60 for IMHO decent new stuff.
these are basic machinist measuring tools.

Machinists take care of there tools so used is an option. shop owned tools tend to be less cared for and may have more wear or they may be on the auction block because they failed calibration inspection so buyer beware.
Tin

Enco Free shipping $25 minimum. Expires Sept 30, 2012. Promo Code: PRSSEP

Davyboy

You can often find great tools on eBay. I have purchased used American made measuring tools for a fraction of new prices. The quality is far better than the cheap China made stuff!

I will vouch for Fowler calipers. I have that same one, and it's never given me a single problem.

Good advice is given above. I can't add to any of that. But, as a Navy veteran I would like to express my gratitude to you and your husband for your service to our country. It is tough being a Navy wife and I wish you all the best while your husband is deployed. Also, best of luck to your son in school. Mass. Maritime is a great school.

Fair winds and following seas.

Regards,
Todd

Latest posts

Back