Where can I read about indexable tool holders....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Sweetland

Reaction score
and what AR, AL, BR, BL and E mean and what application each tool is for?
I bought a QCTP from Enco and I ordered a set of 5 indexable tool holders with these names. They are not marked however so I want to find out which is which and when to use them.
Thanks much.
Gerry

I've read ALL the links in the past in hoping learn as well, but find that artistic drawings are no help. I recently acquired, for a great price, AGI's Lathe 101 course. I'm hoping video will help me visualize better versus drawings. If so, I'll pass the knowledge along here.

Hi GS
here's a pic with your answers. Hope this helps
3367al2s.gif

Tony

Thanks for the links and the illustrations Tin and Tony
That helps a lot.
I also checked the Machinery Hand Book and there is a table in there that describes what each one does and when to use it.

Thanks again to all for all the help. I love this place ;D
Gerry

Gerry,
I got the illustration from

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

They have a lot of good info on "things". If you go to the metal/ steel/ section you will see they have a breakdown on different steels ....machability.....weld.....etc. and popular places they are used (I sometime think they are catering to us ME's). They do this for most materials even plastics and rubber.... They also have multiple CAD files, drawings of parts you can import directly, if you that sort of thing.

It's like a Machinery Handbook Lite!

Tony

Hi Tony,
I use McMaster Carr almost daily for spec'ing fasteners and ordering them for my job. But it's weird cuz I'm so much in a hurry to get the job at hand done and basically just looking for fasteners that I have tunnel vision and just don't even notice all the other info that is there LOL. When I clicked on the link in Tin's post I went DOH!... never thought about McMaster Carr for tooling... then I recognized the illustration in your post. I need to take your advice and explore it more.
I really like the way McMaster Carr is setup for online ordering and just general navigation thru their site. They should get an award or something for the web design.
I also work with Solid Works (Ver. 2008 SP 5.0) all day and do occasionally download a model of a fastener to put in my assemblies and models. Another good web site for fasteners and other hardware 3D models is Reid Tool. Solid Works also has a design library with a link to a web site called 3D Central Content. All kinds of suppliers of many different types in there with 3D models.
Thanks Tony,
Gerry

Hey Gerry,
Sounds like we do they same thing (job). I do solidworks also for the past year. Inventor before that and MDT......and.......
Tony

Hi Tony,
Small world hey?
I wonder if by your handle you're also into Cobra Kit Cars? I'm gonna build a Factory Five Cobra someday. Cobra428... you already have one? Lucky B******
;D

I have been using SW for a couple of years, before that was CadKey mostly with some Auto CAD 2D. Had SW on my computer for about 5 years but because I deal with existing old product that was drawn up in CadKey in the "old days" of my employer I never got a chance to use SW much. But more and more now I need to deal with newer product that is modeled in SW. It's gotten to point now where I almost us SW exclusively. Which is good cuz if you don't use it you don't learn it.
Gerry

Hi Gerry,
I built a Contemporary kit 15 years ago.

IMG_0239.jpg

Tony

Hi Tony,
I vaguely remember Contemporary Car Co. They are not in business any more are they? IIRC those kits were quite involved, you basically got a fiberglass shell and frame and had to make most of the ancillary items yourself? Looks like you did a very nice job on your kit. I have been looking at something like this for many years... Kit Car mags and dreaming mostly. Beck Spiders (used to be more of a kit but now it seems they are almost turnkey), "Locost" Lotus 7 replica's, etc.
I think now, if I ever build a kit car it will be the Factory Five version of the Cobra SC. Looks like something I could see myself finishing LOL. Just need money and time.
Gerry

Latest posts

Back