What you don't want to see flying out of your mill!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelallito

Reaction score
The title says it all! :wall:
Maybe I can get photos to post tomorrow. :mad: :redface2:
Regards,
Fred

Bats, pigeons, wallaby's (I guess that would be jumping ::) )

Hmmmm....curiouser and curiouser :big:

Sorry guys. I have been repairing my mower. No time for photos. :'(
Fred

So Fred:

Are we to infer that it was your MOWER that came flying out of your mill?

Dang that pesky grass in the t-slots.... :hDe:

Cheers, Joe

Joe,
That is an idea. I cold connect the mill to the mower drive and cut the grass and make milling cuts as I drive around the yard. That was brilliant!! This will now take longer as I study the situation and take measurements. The first problem I see , is that the mill would have to be on gimballs(spelling?) so that it is always level as I drive around the yard. Then perhaps 2) would be come sort of way of coordinating speed of cut of both.
Any other ideas and feed back welcomed.
It was not blood that flew out of it. But I did cuss a lot, if that helps.
Regards,
Fred

pelallito said:
It was not blood that flew out of it. But I did cuss a lot, if that helps.

I knew it was wallabys (sp)

Hello,
I wish it had been any of the suggestions that you guys have made. I would not have been so ticked off.
It was broken pieces that came flying out of my new to me Atlas mill. I forgot to mention that I was taking a very light cut when it spit out the pieces. I was cutting a hex end on a piece that was going to be a draw bar for the mill. First I now have to fix the mill, and then finish the drawbar. Some all thread and washers was doing the duty of a drawbar.
I have a some photos to show the remains of my spindle pulley- :-[
I am in the process of making all new pulleys for the mill. I started by trying to scrounge the steel, but what I got was pump shaft that was hard enough to dull every tool used on it. So I broke down and bought some aluminum 6061-T6. It is my first attempt at making a pulley so instead of one, I am making all four. A friend on the Alas mill group sent me dimensions of his pulley and that is what I am working from.

Thanks for your patience.
Fred

DSCN4104.JPG

DSCN4112 (Small).JPG

DSCN4111 (Small).JPG

Here are photos of the unfinished spindle pulley. This is the only one that is made from steel. There is also a form tool that I made with a 30* and a 32* angle to finish with.
I still have to drill 4 holes on one side and cut 4 slots on the other, smaller side. These have to be aligned with two mating parts.
The other pulleys are not this complicated. I will have a 12 speed machine(hopefully) when I am done.
Regards,
Fred

DSCN4116 (Small).JPG

DSCN4117 (Small).JPG

DSCN4119 (Small).JPG

Back