What the heck would you call this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
I want to make a couple of flex-neck chip shields for my lathe and mill. I have a clamp-on magnifying glass that I really like, and would like to use the same flexxy stuff for the chip shields but I have had no luck locating it by itself. Here's a pic of the magnifier:

41ZXdVPuJ%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Any ideas? I guess I could use coolant loc-line but I really like the other stuff better. Seems a little radical to buy more magnifiers just to cannibalize them for parts.

It looks very much like the goose neck used on microphone stands. It is fairly stiff since it has to support a microphone held out at an angle. They pretty much stay put where you set them. Threads are 5/8 x 27 which is standard for microphone stand / clip / boom. They come in different lengths and can be black or chrome.

Here is a link. Don't know anything about this company, I just did a search to find a picture.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&cat=2827&cat2=3676&instock=&blowouts=&apo=&rl=&rh=&ob=&form=search

Guitar or A/V companies places carry them. In OKC try Guitar Center near 63rd and May.

Hope that helps!

websterz said:
I want to make a couple of flex-neck chip shields for my lathe and mill. I have a clamp-on magnifying glass that I really like, and would like to use the same flexxy stuff for the chip shields but I have had no luck locating it by itself. Here's a pic of the magnifier:

41ZXdVPuJ%2BL._SS500_.jpg

Any ideas? I guess I could use coolant loc-line but I really like the other stuff better. Seems a little radical to buy more magnifiers just to cannibalize them for parts.
Hi, I think you should consider Flexible Metal Conduit as used by Electricians it comes in many sizes and should be readily available it is here in the UK .
coldte

The McMaster Carr people offer that type of flexible tubing. You might give their website a look, they also have a huge selection of other materials and useful bits and bobs for the tinkerer in all of us.

BC1
Jim

I've seen these done with Loc-Line tubing as well. The knockoff versions are pretty cheap and wouldn't have to not-leak in this usage.

black85vette said:
It looks very much like the goose neck used on microphone stands. It is fairly stiff since it has to support a microphone held out at an angle. They pretty much stay put where you set them. Threads are 5/8 x 27 which is standard for microphone stand / clip / boom. They come in different lengths and can be black or chrome.

Here is a link. Don't know anything about this company, I just did a search to find a picture.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&cat=2827&cat2=3676&instock=&blowouts=&apo=&rl=&rh=&ob=&form=search

Guitar or A/V companies places carry them. In OKC try Guitar Center near 63rd and May.

Hope that helps!

Yessiree...that is exactly what I needed to know! Found some good prices on Ebay. I will post up pics of the chip shield project when I get the parts together. Thanks 'vette!! :bow:

I've also heard this stuff referred to as 'gooseneck'.

websterz said:
Yessiree...that is exactly what I needed to know! Found some good prices on Ebay. I will post up pics of the chip shield project when I get the parts together. Thanks 'vette!! :bow:

A couple of years ago I could have sent you one. I have cut back on my audio engineering and recording and gave away most of my "junk".

Latest posts

Back