What material for the piston rod?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

Reaction score
Hi,

Another "what material" question.... ::)

Almost the last bit of material I need to get for the Upshuer vertical I am making. The piston rod, I need to buy a bit for this so I may as well get the right stuff. The plans say Aluminium or brass (I think), any views on what is best, and if I use Aluminium, what's the best type to make this out off....?

Thanks

Dave

I like 2024 aluminum. It wears well on steel crankpins and is one of the stronger grades of aluminum. A large number of model airplane engine manufactures have used it also. Machines very well also.
Gail in NM

DaveRC said:
Another "what material" question.... The piston rod, . . .. The plans say Aluminium or brass (I think), any views on what is best, and if I use Aluminium, what's the best type to make this out off....? - Dave
Are you sure it's the piston rod? Maybe the drawing terminology is wrong? Neither brass nor aluminum would be good for the piston rod, but they would be OK for the connecting rod.

I don't know anything about an Upshure engine, but if the pston rod is going through a packing gland, I would prefer brass over aluminum.

Usually only 4 parts to a piston assy. Ring, Piston, Wrist Pin, and Connecting Rod. If you are talking about the connecting rod 2024 Aluminum is fine.

"Bill Gruby"

Oooooh, I see it's I/C. I made the assumption it was steam. Never mind. Nice looking engines.

Yes, sorry guys, grtting the names all mixed up, was talking connecting rod... ::)

So 2024 aluminum is the stuff, now I just need to try and find some....

Dave

Does anyone know where I can get a small quantity of 2024 aluminium in the UK, can't seem to find anyone stocking it, not in very small quantities anyway...

Dave

compspecial said:
How about duralumin Dave! that's good stuff

Yes, come across this stuff many years ago, I have some plate at home that I am sure is duralumin, it's just so hard to tell what it is... Don't want to go to all the trouble of making a part only to have it fail because it's the wrong stuff.

Dave

Its an aircraft quality alloy Dave and it was used by most of the british model diesel engine makers for con-rods. they revved up to 15,000 rpm. Just a thought Dave.
Stew.

Duralumin, Drual, HE15 and 2024 all would be functional equivalents for this application. You could use any of them with confidence.

The Upshuer engine is a relatively low performance engine such that most any aluminum alloy would work for years but if you use one of the above you will be assured on not having a problem.

Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back