What is this?? Janita grinder I brought this janita grinding machine believing it was

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1407106148.480782.jpgImageUploadedByModel Engines1407106165.296467.jpg

That's what I thought but can't find another anywhere! What would you say it's worth?

google it ! one on ebay.co.uk last year asking price £400 , price new in 1950 £121.

I did google the company name and found a lot of valve grinders but no surface grinders!! That's interesting £121 makes you think doesn't it!! Thanks for your replies!!

Hi Ben,
Did my holiday job in 1962 at a British Army Engine Shop which overhauls Jeep Engines and 3 tonner Truck Engines.Most Bedford Engines. Did grind some engine outerheads on same grinder. Outer heads do get deformed and contact face must be ground to 100% flatness for best sealing.
Was a good opportunity to learn about Jeep and truck engines. But this then 19 year kid was not ready to learn beyond very basics. Worked with the engine tester doing dyno-test. Learned nothing.Too green and stupid.:wall::hDe:

One of their former engine repairman worked for me in 1986. This is after 24 years.Looking back,how would I know that the 19 year old kid became Operations Manager, Ingersoll-Rand Small Compressor Plant in Singapore.

Last edited:
Most Bedford Engines

A Bedford is a rare sight these days and I'm only just over the border from Befordshire (home to the town of Bedford and also Luton the location of both Vauxhall and Bedford Vehicles headquarters). There's a few Bedford Rascals around but those are just rebadges, have met these guys quite a few times though: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPILEO3EQI[/ame] Can't beat a song about a Bedford Rascal by a bunch of people from Bedford, actually got one of his guitars kicking around here somewhere for some reason (no idea why).

These grinders rely on the operator being very good. They need you to maintain constant pressure and speed or the surface finish becomes variable. The engine shop I worked at would restrict the machibe for exhaust manifolds and all else was set up on the mills.

Hi gus thanks for your information I thought you might appreciate the best compressor I've ever had!! Still on daily useImageUploadedByModel Engines1407181073.963003.jpg

Hi gus thanks for your information I thought you might appreciate the best compressor I've ever had!! Still on daily useView attachment 71439

Hi Ben
This looks like a UK made (Trafford Park)Model 234 running at low speed with a 2 hp 230v single phase motor and a felt pad intake filter. The local tyre shops love the Models A , B, 234 ,242 and 253 which ran at low speed forever and ever.
I will look around for a Model A Bare compressor and fit on a small air receiver. Or DIY build a working Model A replica. The valves not a problem as steel band straps will do for very light duties.

The most challenging repair job we had, was the R-8 Radial Compressor that came in pieces and my men did a very good repair job in 1991.

I helped a Chinese Compressor Plant to reverse engineer the high pressure 3000 psi H15t4 which command a very good price.

My 32 years with Ingersoll-Rand had been very challenging and rewarding.

Back