What are good 'Old School' British tool brands

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
Not saying there is anything wrong with US ones but in just under 2 months I'm going on another holiday to UK and I am thinking of watching ebay UK and trying to buy some good quality old tools for good prices and get them sent to my mother in laws house for me to pick up when I arrive.

At the moment I only have a 0-25mm micromemter and want to get others to take me to 100mm as well as Imperial ones to 2 inches.

Last trip my suit case was filled up with steam engines to build or repair plus some tools but this time I plan on more tools, less engines. The bonus is this time my youngest son will be over 2 so that means I'm allowed another extra 20Kg in the hold of the plane. :big:

John Stevenson said:
Where are you visting in the UK?

JS

Based near Durham but will be going down to Brighton, across to Hull, up to Edinburgh and hopefully Pitlochry and where ever else I can squeeze in.

Last time I hired a car and dropped by RDG tools so this time may visit another shop.

Thanks for the link.
I will check them out.
Yes I have been to Beamish twice and if we get a chance will go again.
It is expensive but worth it if you make a day out of it and ride the trams and buses too.

I think Ironbridge is far better value for the money.

http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/

About the same price for tickets but they cover 10 museums that you can't do in one day but the ticket is valid for 1 year

JS.

Tmuir
If you are looking for measuring and marking out tools Moore and Wright have been around a long time and make good tools that are a pleasure to use. They do seem to fetch premium prices on E bay whatever the age though.

I watch out for them and am gradually replacing cheaper tools I have bought in the past. Somehow if I ham working with a well made item that has been well used but looked after, I seem to work better too. I think part of it is out of respect for the tool and also for the unknown previous owner.

Regards

I have to agree with jmshep about the Moore & Wright. I have a 1" (actually a metric 25mm :) ) micrometer - this is the first and only micrometer I have. It just "feels" like quality when one use it, and as far as I am aware, M&W is one of the better brands for measuring equipment.

Regards, Arnold

Latest posts

Back