What are good brands for cutters?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobgobbln

Reaction score
What brands do you guys/gals use milling and turning?

I have almost no turning tools and some worn out import end mills. What do you recommend? I would like to avoid index-able tooling for now. Brazed carbide is probably my best bet since I have not had good luck grinding my own HSS and honestly for the couple of bucks they cost seem worth it for the aggravation.

I live about 10 minutes from F&D Tool. I have some of their drills and they have impressed me so far. Any of you bought from them?

Griz

If you are going to but carbide look for micro grain 100 they will last longer and you can cut up to 62 Rc hardness. They do cost a bit more but I think they are worth it.

The problem with "brand names" is you end up paying a duty for the "name".

If you search for whatever cutting tool you are in need of at a site such as
Enco it will give you several search options. They may not include brand names,
but there will be a wide range in the pricing.

The "Made in USA" tools with no brand name attached will cost twice as much
when compared to the import tools. They are well worth that cost!
A Seco Carboloy tool will show up there as well at twice the cost of the standard
"Made in USA" tools. That doesn't mean they are better tools. It just costs that company
more to advertise their superiority in the industry. Someone has to pay for that!

OK, I think I have stepped on enough toes for one post now. LOL

Buy the generic USA made tools. You won't regret it.

Rick

I agree with all this, bought a box of 'cheap' cutters of various shapes and orientations (I wont say which country they came from, but I bet you can guess), didnt cost much which was lucky cause they dont last long and they are supposedly carbide....

I dont know which country you are from but Ricks correct if you are a Yank, Suttons or P&N if you are an aussie and then the yank stuff (but only second because of dollar exchange rates and freight costs).

My advice is to buy the best that you can afford.

However, cheaper cutters WILL get a newbie cutting initially...

Good luck

Artie

Most of my hss milling cutters are Presto brand, bought as sets on Ebay at very good prices...£28 for a set of end mills size range from 6 to 20mm.

Lathe tooling, I have hss and carbide tipped..I have three Glanze boring bars and a set of Soba turning tools

I tend to buy the cheapo Chinese cutters for jobs that have a fairly high attrition rate. Say 3mm and below, cutting into tough materials. Sometimes you have to accept that you are going to be breaking cutters at a fair rate, and when they cost less than a buck apiece, it doesn't make you feel as bad as if you break one costing ten times that much. I call them my 'throw away' range.

http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=46c92e3c4a3b068de874bf4ed3822b21

Do go for quality when you know that the cutter is going to survive what you will be throwing at it. I have solid carbide cutters that are used time after time and they seem to go on forever, and sometimes at well over 100 bucks a throw (I get them for nothing), they will far outlast the cheaper versions. These are the 'Iscar' brand ones I use. But there are many other good quality ones on the market.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamiclanding.aspx?CategoryID=4914

Maybe you should look at the cheaper stuff for everyday use, and the more expensive 'special' few for those 'special' jobs.

Bogs

Griz;
Rick has some good advice about what to buy, and where to buy them. Enco has good prices on the kind of stuff we need, and usually offers a "USA made" option. For some things, it doesn't matter so much where they come from. Some things really do. Carbide tooling is one of them.

You didn't mention the size of your machines, so I'll just show you what I use. These brazed carbide turning tools give good service, and won't break the bank. This is a 3/8" shank size, and they are often on sale at Enco for about $3.00, (they are now). Less if you buy a dozen.

2-1.jpg

If you have a small lathe, you will really do well to learn to grind them to a shape that works better for lower horse power. You can grind HSS to sharper edges than what comes on carbide tools, and that will help a lot with smaller machines. I understand having trouble with the grinding part, though. It can be hard to figure it out from looking at pictures on the web.

For end mills, John has a great point. If you think you're going to break it, you probably will, and HSS end mills are definitely cheaper for those kind of jobs. They also don't last anywhere near as long as carbide.
You asked about brands. For carbide end mills, Atrax is one that is pretty good for us home shop guys, and they are not quite as spendy as the brands the big boys use. They're good and sharp, and stay that way a long while. Again, Enco has them, as well as MSC. Enco has them on sale seemingly six months of the year, and are on sale at the moment. The type below, 1/4", single end, TiN coated carbide, are going for about $8 a pop. If you don't chip them, one will last a long time.
Both of these have been through the ringer, and are still sharp enough to give a good finish. I do quite a bit of machining, and don't wear one out very often. I usually end up chipping them doing something dumb, like touching off, before they wear out.

1-1.jpg

You can see the part # for the four flute if you're interested in that particular end mill.

Good luck.

Dean

Like Bogs I use the Richon milling cutters for roughing out or the first cuts on castings as its not the end of the world if you find a hard spot.

In the smaller sizes the Hertel brand FC-3 type disposable cutters are good value for money but can be a bit short particularly when working with teh rotary table in teh vertical mode.

For best I like Dormer end mills and slot drills.

Jason

Latest posts

Back