Walking Beam Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chiliviking

I'm getting close enough to completion on my PM lathe kit that I'm starting to think about my next project. I'd really like to build Stuarts Walking Beam engine but the $550 price tag puts it out of reach right now. Anyone know of a beam engine from bar stock that the plans are available for? Or perhaps something similar?

The usual standby, Elmers Engines has a beam or two in it.

chiliviking said:
I'd really like to build Stuarts Walking Beam engine but the $550 price tag puts it out of reach right now.

I hear ya. We're conditioned to think that its tough to get a really authentic looking model without castings.....but Keith Spriggs has taught me otherwise. He builds some incredible models and prefers fabrication over casting in that greater detail and can be produced this way. i haven't seen too many engines from castings that out do his 'bar stock' work - he has some photos on the Chaski site. Maybe time to out do Mr. Stuart and his crazy casting prices :D

A-1 Machining & Tooling sells plans for a barstock walking beam engine for about $25. I saw the plans and working engine at NAMES in 2007 and bought them. It is either my next project or it will be the one after my next project. I think if you google A1 Machining & tooling you'll find it, otherwise let me know and I'll send you more details. It would be cool to be building an engine that someone else was also doing....two heads are better than one and all that :big:

Cheers,
Phil

Coulsd I please get the adress fot A-1 as a google search did not find them.

A-1 Machining Inc
PO Box 227
Flushing, MI 48433
810-487-2115
[email protected]

Plans for the walking beam are $20.00 + $4.50 S/H

Let me know if you plan to build it

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the contact info on A-1. I will give them a call later and get some info.

Hi

In the plans section on this forum I placed a link to loads of free plans. Check it out, there may be something there you can use.

Cheers

I hear ya. We're conditioned to think that its tough to get a really authentic looking model without castings.....but Keith Spriggs has taught me otherwise. He builds some incredible models and prefers fabrication over casting in that greater detail and can be produced this way. i haven't seen too many engines from castings that out do his 'bar stock' work - he has some photos on the Chaski site.

Mcgyver,
where can one see some of his model from not castings?
Hilmar

Yep, Keith is an incredibly talented bloke - consider that the Corliss was just his second engine (the first was the Jesse Livingston Rocking Valve engine) and you will get some idea of his ability

I ordered the plans today for the A-1 beam engine as they seem to be what I was looking for and are reasonable in cost. I'll let everyone know what I think of the plans when they arrive. That picture that was posted of Keiths engine is awsome and inspirational!!

Glad to hear you've ordered the plans. I'm within a month of starting to build it myself. I'm planning to go to NAMES next month and I hope A-1 will have an exhibit. I have a few questions about the design, then I'm on it ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Anyone have a picture of an A-1 walking beam looks like when completed?

Eric

Hi Eric,
I asked Scott of A-1 to send me some photos. They were quite big files (~ 1 meg) so I downsized one and edited it. Here she is:

engine016.jpg

I saw it running. It's very cool! ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Thats a nice looking engine. All from bar stock too??

Hmmm... may have to order a set of plans.

Eric

Latest posts

Back