Visiting Mesa,AZ

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

I'm in Mesa,AZ for a wedding and was wanting to know where a good scrap metal yard might be located. Looking for brass/bronze mainly. Just want to check out prices and look for deals. ;D ;D ;D Any thing Model Engineering related really. Will be going back home the 8th of June.

Ron

I don't know about scrap yards there but Taig Tools is in Chandler. It's interesting to see how they make their lathes and mills.

Doug

T70MkIII said:
Is that anywhere near Black Mesa?

According to my mapping program Black Mesa is about 310 miles north and slighlty east of Mesa,AZ. So no, not close.

Thanks Doug, I might check that out.

Ron

There is a place in South Phoenix called Industrial Metal Supply located at 5150 South 48th Street, Phoenix, AZ . That's just west of Mesa on the other side of I-10. I think they are open on Saturday Mornings. They sell mostly new stuff, but have lots of cutoffs at very reasonable prices. They also sell most sizes of brass rod, aluminum rod, and cold rolled steel in 12" lengths. They do cater to the small buyer as well as businesses.

There's also a place called Apache Reclamation which is kind of a an industrial surplus store. It's right of I-17 at about 3rd St or so... pretty close to Mesa. Lots of cool stuff there, but take your paper towels... you'll get real dirty there and they are open on Saturday until about 1pm.

The only other place I know of is Davis Salvage on Washington St near 34th st. I think they also are open on Saturday mornings.

Of course, I did move away from Phoenix 2 years ago, so I don't know if these places are still in business or not, but assume they are since they've been around for years.

Chuck

I used to buy from Davis Metals. They were getting the drops from the aircraft engine plant a couple of blocks West. Some 7075 and lots of 6061. Drops up to 18" or bigger in diameter. Some off cuts of 6061 plate up to 6" thick and a bit of SS sheet. Their price for aluminum was about 1/2 price.

Stan, Thanks for the Davis Metals tip. I picked up a 41/2 dia by 51/2 long piece of 6061 for about $26.00. I have big notions of turning it into a crankcase for the Edwards 5 Radial. Wish I had a place like that near home.

Ron

Latest posts

Back