Video of Parting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just took a video this morning while I was parting my stainless steel piston rods and thought I would share it. I was going to narrate it but my throat is really sore so that will have to come on another day.

I know probably most of you do this without thinking but I also know that it gets talked about frequently by new peeps to the hobby. Hopefully this might help someone. I struggled with parting when I first starting machining and broke plenty of parting blades and screwed up plenty of parts.

Below are the steps that I use that seems to keep me out of trouble now:
• I touch up the edge of the parting blade before each use.
• I make sure the tool post is perpendicular to the part.
• I set the parting tool just below the center line (I use a 6 inch ruler and eyeball it so that I can just detect that I am low).
• I use plenty of lubricant, and hand feed slowly.

Here is the video.

Bob, Nice job. Glad to see someone else using a syringe for oil dispensing.!
What is the type of collet holder you are using????
Julian G.

jgarrett,

Thanks!! It's a 5C I got two years ago from this guy:

http://www.lathemaster.com/

I got that and a dividing head from him at the same time.

Those syringes I kept around after trying rather unsuccesfully to fill my own ink cartridiges years ago. I have two set up all the time. One for aluminum and one for the ferris metals. :roll:

I just finished up parting some 1" dia brass journals for my Siamese Twin engine I am building.

Latest posts

Back