(video) my design 4 cylinder OHV engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW that is nice, I would love to make something like this my self.

it looks really good, how long did it take to make?

Hi Karl, I can't really say how long it took. Some of the time was spent on designing and along the way a little bit of redesign. At the time I built it I didn't know as much about miniature multi-cylinder engine building as I do now so if I were to built the same engine again the time would definitely be far less. If I had to take a guess I would say at least around 350-400 hours.
gbritnell

Thanks gbritnell

I am really interested in building something like this my self, the only thing that gets me thinking is how to work out how long the valves stay open etc. Would you have any tips?

thanks for your time on these questions also,

Karl.

Absolutely gorgeous piece of engineering and execution.
I love the sound that it makes.

Hi Karl, valve timing is generally figured on how the engine is to perform. By this I mean, a high reving engine will have different timing and opening specs than an engine that's going to produce power and torque at lower rpm's. In general the intake will open at 10 BTC and close at 10 ABC and the exhaust will open at 10 BBC and close at 10 ATC. These are relatively mild timing events.
gbritnell

Back