vice jaws with various grove in them.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Don Huseman

I got a knock of Kurt vice. What a nice vice. I have a 4".6" and 8" regular old milling vices and as far as I am concerned they are all for sale. This vice just is so nice. I was thinking that instead of using parales to hold parts of the bottom or above the vice jaws I was thinking of taking the vice jaw out and drilling through both jaws at the same time with a carbid drill and putting in dowel pins in them. I would have to drill and tap the dowel pins to pull them out with a little screw, but it would be a slick way of setting in parts parallel and level in the jaws.
I am also thinking of milling in two 45 groves in the vice one set vertical and the other horizontal. I was thinking that I would first mill a square grove in the jaws first and then go in with a 45 degree cutter after words.
WHAT SAY YOU ALL ABOUT THE DOWL PINS AND THE GROVES.
By the way I had to open the jaws to 7 1/2 " After contemplating pick up a hindered pound vice and putting my old 8" milling vice on the table that vice must weight 135lbs I noticed that the jaw could be move to the outer side of the fixed jaw and removing two Allen bolts and re bolting them on the other side of the fixed jaw would be a lot less time and a lot less hernia operations.
What a nice vice.

You will love that vice. try to keep the new hard jaws perfect.

If it were mine I would just make a few sets of jaws.

make Some soft jaws from aluminum. And as many step jaws as you feel like making.

At work we made some TALL jaws for the vice out of 10 x 6 x 1/2" flatbar. they work great for big odd things you want to grab.

Also the Kurt is the best in my eyes, iv had to bite hard on some big parts like the drawbars from cat tractors and mill and bore them and I can trust the kurt not to break. Iv seen the cheapo china mill vices bust in two.

China vices are just fine for us hobbie guys, if you have the money get the kurt every time, you wont regret it.

Mike
I inherited a 6 inch Wilton vise some years ago. Dunno much about Kurt, but it would take a full demolition crew to tear that Wilton up. It's old, oily black and ugly, but it has taken many a beating and heating but it's still around. A nice hernia just waiting to happen if you need to move it very often...LOL

Steve

Latest posts

Back