valve stem grinding

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kernbigo

Reaction score
Has anyone came up with a simple way to end grind a valve stem for a small engine ( briggs etc.) to shorten it after grinding and lapping the valves on a engine rebuild?

We used to use the bench grinder and roll the valve across the grinder rest by hand to trim the valve stem length -back when i worked in a mower shop a long time ago.
You could set it up in a lathe and use a die grinder mounted in the tool post to trim the valve stem also.

If you are in the Portland OR. area I have a valve steam grinder we could do them on.

On the old traditional valve grinder machines, many just used a V block to hold the valve stem and the block pivoted so the end of the spindle moved across the face of the grinding wheel. Easy enough to make something for a bench grinder to do the same.

This is the grinder I have. I use it most the time for squaring up the end of stock that is going into the lathe and be center drilled.:grinder2.jpg

grinder2.jpg

Last edited:
Back