Valve size guidelines?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farr

Reaction score
Is there a general rule or ratio between displacement and valve size in model IC engines? I have the cylinder and crankcase casting from an old air compressor that I'd like to turn into an IC engine. Throttled carb, dual OHC's, & pressure lube are what I'd like, but maybe I'm aiming too high. I'm definitely running out of space to fit everything. I don't know how you guys manage to build engines so small!

The pump body has a 2" bore and the original crank had a 1.5" stroke, so 4.7124-CuIn's is what I calculate for displacement. I can put a hemispherical combustion chamber in the head to give more room for larger valves, but the biggest is a pair of 1-inchers. That's probably much more than necessary, and it's hard to squeeze those in there among head studs, intake/exhaust ports, bolt holes, etc. A pair of 3/4-inchers make life easier, but 1/2-inchers seem proportionally too small. I'm currently drawing a 45-degree angle between the cam banks but if I narrow that it will make more room for the ports. I'd like to keep it at 45-degrees if I can, just because it looks like a little Offenhauser head.

Are there any rough design guidelines to help me make everything fit without having to find out later the hard way that the valves I ended up with won't work?

Thanks,

Bob

The Victim:

Compressorengine5-1.jpg

Hi Bob.

4.7cu-in is about 77cc. If you look at a typical OHV engine such as a Honda ATC or Cub90 engine, you'll find both valves are smaller than an inch, at a guess I would say the Cub90 valves are about 3/4" inlet and 5/8" exhaust in diameter (the 'big valve' heads taken from the more powerful pit bike engines are 23/21mm valves). It's a very frugal running engine and an easy starter too. Going by that I would say your engine will run very well on 3/4" or smaller diameter valves.

Intake .43-.46 x bore exhaust .35-.37 x bore. Anything that fits will result in a running engine. if you want to make a lot of power you need big valves. If it's never going to pull a load, leave yourself some room to work with so cutter clearances etc, aren't tight.

Greg

Greg,

What a wonderfully simple and very valuable piece of information. :bow: :bow:

Thanks You

Best Regards
Bob

One other concern I should have noted is that if valves, with a lot of lift, are highly canted like in a Hemi, you need to pay attention to valve interference during the overlap period. Highly canted valves can be larger than I posted above. Reference: "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals" John B. Heywood pg 222.

Thanks Bob, I have a lot of books on engine design. I probably read and design more than I build.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for sharing the helpful information. Small motorbike valves will be a good source of parts in this size range, and the guidelines give be a target to shoot for. Thanks also for the reminder about valve lift/overlap/timing issues in hemi-head motors.

The engine is for display. It will not need to pull a load or make a usable amount of power. However, I won't consider it a complete success unless it makes a suitably impressive amount of quality noise!

Thanks,

Bob

Some of us horsepower freaks dont consider the valve too big until you run out of room notching the top of the bore ;D

Just to make noise, however, Greg gave great guidelines, stick to the smaller end.

Hi Bob!!

In my bugatti engine I have .375 diameter valves in a cone shaped combustion chamber. With the spark plug in the center. If the design is blown up to a 2" bore you could get a .875 valve in there very easily. If you want I could try to cad a drawing of the head and chamber so you could blow it up some 2.? times. Hell, If you come over here for a few hours with the block we could design the entire head, cam box, and valve covers if we just blow up the bugatti design.

DSCN0426.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg

I don't know why I didn't think of your Bugatti but it would be a great OHC design to get some ideas from. The head for this little compressor motor should be easier to fit things into: with just one cylinder, I should be able to relocate the spark plug to the back of the head instead of between the valves.

Now that I know your preferred beverage I may take you up on that offer for a visit. I still haven't worked out whether to gear or belt drive the cams, so don't start drawing yet. We'll talk at the next club meeting. I've been meaning to ask you a bit more about Alibre CAD. I'm still in the 2D pencil and graph paper mode and that may need to change soon :mad:

DOHCcompressordrawing5.jpg

DOHCcompressordrawing2-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back