valve keepers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jct842

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Henry Ford First engine but with over head valves. I have made the valve stems out of 1/8" hardened dowel rod. What I have in mind for a keeper is grooving the end of stem to take a wire wrapped around once like a piston ring and a brass keeper with a tapered end to "trap" the wire and force it against the valve shaft trapping the keeper and spring from coming loose. What I ask is this a viable idea and has any one else done this? THANKS john

(at a later date I will attempt to make this a hit and miss after it runs and is the reason for the over head valves.)

How do you plan on grooving the hardened dowel rod? I would feel much more secure with a pin through the rod to hold the keeper more securely. Still have the problem of the hardened rod though. You can always anneal the end of stem to do the required machining, but still think a pin would be better.

Bill

I had planned to spin the dowel in my lathe and run a dremel cut off wheel against it to groove it. the little ones kcmillin posted about look good too. I used the dowels because I wanted to get away from a slightly bent stem on so many little valves I have seen that dont seal completely. with parts this small it don't take much to render a valve as a leaker. john

Actually if your stems are .125 diameter they are pretty big for modeling standards. I would think you'd have a heck of a time bending a piece of 1/8 drill rod 1.00 long.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back