Using up all the bits and pieces

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickl

Reaction score
I looked under the bench the other day and decided that I would build a small loco (10mm/ft) from all the odds and ends rather than waste them. Frames have been cut from 16g brass, single cylinder 12.7mm dia (to suit the O ring I had), slip eccentric. Used aluminium for the spaces. Loco is an old South Australian Railways 2nd M Class 2-4-2 tank.

Rick
South Australia

Sorry for not putting on any pictures. I'll take some.

Rick

Photo of original loco and also drawing by Harold Denyer of a 2-4-2 I'm basing mine on. I've taken a photo of the frames and cylinder, but I'll have to make the size small so I can post them.

Rick

Diagram_HDenyer.jpg

M_Class.jpg

Here are the other two photos.

Rick

Frames 2-4-2.jpg

Cylinder block in frame.jpg

Looking good Rick. Keep the pictures coming.
BTW where in S.A are you?

Now that's what I'm talking about! ;) This is going to be fun to watch as you progress along Rick, what sort of final-drive arrangement are you planning to use?

BC1
Jim

All the frame stretchers have been fabricated and silver soldered up. Buffer beams made and the bushes for the axles fitted. Bushes made from phosphor bronze. Everything has now been squared up. The next biggest part will be to make the crank axle. I've decided to turn it out of the solid as there will only be one crank to make. The slip eccentric is pretty straight forward. Having never done this before, I won't be surprised if it might take more that one go to get it right. I've marked out the running plate using 18g brass, but I think it is too thick and will look around for some 0.8mm stuff.
The boiler will be spirit fired.

Rick Laslett
West Lakes Sth Australia

Frames 2.jpg

Frames 3.jpg

Frames 4.jpg

Frames 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back