Using supports

Discussion in '3-D Printers' started by chucketn, Mar 15, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2019 #1

chucketn

chucketn

chucketn

Senior Citizen

Fully retired
    Anyone use Repetier Host with slic3r that can explain how to set up supports to be easily removed and not waist a lot of filament?
    I designed an enclosure for my Arduino controlled RT controller setup. The enclosure is 2 piece and the top has a slanted portion for the LCD 20x4 display. I have attached a picture of the enclosure top part and a screen capture of the support settings in the version of Slic3r in my Repetier Host.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I have been designing and 3d printing for almost 2 years and have used supports as little as possible because of the difficulty in removing them and the poor finish that results.

Attached Files:

2. Mar 16, 2019 #2

aonemarine

aonemarine

aonemarine

I assume you are using pla filament?? do you have a layer fan?? If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then I suggest you buy the simplify 3d slicer. You will not regret it!!

3. Mar 16, 2019 #3

WSMkid

WSMkid

WSMkid

The last week I have been playing with ABS from 3dsolutec. Using the cheep knock off slicer that came with my printer I have been very pleased with the surface finish after doing an acetone vaper finish. Doesn't help you currently but might be something to consider.

4. Mar 17, 2019 #4

bmac2

bmac2

bmac2

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Hi Chuck your case looks similar to the one Olsson (billanygard) posted for his controller back in the “Arduino Rotary Table for Dummies”. I haven’t messed around with supports (yet) but if you drop him a PM he would probably be able to help you out.

5. Mar 17, 2019 #5

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

Looking at your screen shot i would look at a different type of support like zig zag or similar , pillars are better for external overhangs like arms on a statue . I don’t use slic3r i use cura .
    Have a look at the prusa website as they have their on version of slic3r and you may be able to use similar settings for your slicer .
    If your supports are hard to remove they are too dense so reduce the number of layers or support density . I think most slicers today have the generic settings for supports about right but paying attention to where the support is to be placed ( like touching bed only ) is something you need to check as you need it set to everywhere . Some slicers allow fine tuning where you can generate supports automatically then delete what you don’t think you need -I believe simplify 3d has this feature . At the top of your screen shot you will see a setting that is set at 60% this is the overhang angle which is = to 60 degrees from vertical , i would drop this back to 50 % or degrees at least as it is better to be safe than sorry !